DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Bleeding/Replacing Brake Fluid? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=94574)

Banzai 10-18-2011 12:44 PM

Bleeding/Replacing Brake Fluid?

Hey guys,

how hard is it to bleed and replace the brake fluid on our trucks?? apparently my brake fluid is black and they want 140.00 to do it?

Banzai 10-18-2011 04:45 PM

not one person has any input??

CajunDodge 10-18-2011 05:05 PM

Not sure about the 4th gens, but shouldn't be any more difficult than on anything else. Seems odd to me that your fluid is black being as your truck is that new but you can do it the old fashioned way with two people, one pumping and holding the brake while the other drains the fluid at the bleeder screw. A friend of mine prefers the gravity bleed method where you just drain the fluid at each wheel and refill as you go. He told me he prefers doing it that way because, in his mind, pumping the brake introduces just as much air into the system as you're trying to get out. I've never tried it but I will say he had one heck of a pedal when he was done. Just make sure you're using the correct brake fluid and keep checking the master cylinder as you go.

- Cajun

rsg1963 10-18-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banzai (Post 638436)
Hey guys,

how hard is it to bleed and replace the brake fluid on our trucks?? apparently my brake fluid is black and they want 140.00 to do it?

I'll chime in. First thought would be why this happened. I would check everything out before bothering with replacing/flushing because it will just spoil the new fluid if you don't. Secondly it sounds like they are charging for an hours labor and some fluid. Not totally unfair really. But if you are savvy you can do it yourself. If you pony-up the money be sure the fluid looks perfectly clean when you pick it up. Drive it around and make a bunch of stops and check again. This will transfer some of the line fluid into the M/C so you can see if they simply emptied the M/C and filled it back up vs. actually flushing the whole system.

The gravity bleed way needs no special tools or equipment but takes time.
Open one bleeder valve at a time starting at right rear and go through the normal sequence until clean fluid comes out.
Be sure and don't let the master cylinder get empty.
Good way to stay out of the better half's way for an afternoon if you work it out right.
No real mystery and will be completed same as any other flush in years gone past. I know of zero reasons this does not apply to our Ram's. Here is a link for more details on a typical two person flush.
http://www.automedia.com/Brake_Bleeding/ccr20011001bb/1

Studbuster 10-18-2011 09:45 PM

Under warranty? Looks like all would be covered, just not pads and rotors. Only reason for discolored fluid is contamination. The brake system is sealed and seals are covered.

CAUTION, If you pressure bleed, you stand a chance of knocking the proportioning valve off center, not fun to reset.

I would only gravity bleed without the proper equipment. Be sure to use the PROPER FLUID.

GTyankee 10-18-2011 11:26 PM

start with the brake cylinder furthest from the master cylinder, usually right rear wheel
keep the master cylinder full as you you do it
at this time don't worry about air bubbles

then go to next furthest brake cylinder, usually left rear wheel cylinder, again don't worry about air bubbles

next wheel is usually the right front cylinder, again don't worry about air bubbles

the last one is the drivers front wheel, again don't worry about air bubbles

now you have all clear fluid

then do the regular brake air bleed, using the same pattern

brake fluid is cheap