DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Hood Flex - Wind (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=94615)

bee1971 10-18-2011 10:31 PM

Hood Flex - Wind

Anyone notice there hood sheet metal flex at high speeds or windy conditions - I know there trying to make these trucks lighter etc. thin sheet metal , but damn driving down the highway in windy conditions or even passing a semi sometimes - Really noticed it this past weekend with the high winds in WI

The scary part was going thru a car wash the other day with these air blowers - Man i thought for sure the hood was going to bee damaged with how much the hood indented or flexed down next to the windshield - Thought for sure at least paint damage it was that bad

Compared to my 2004 Dodge Ram , this 2011 you really notice how light everything seems , especially closing the Hood / Rear tailgate / Doors etc.

Just making a point

ORT 10-18-2011 10:36 PM

When I had a metal hood on my 04 it used to flex like crazy in high winds. If the new ones are worse I can't imagine how much it flexes.

WyGuy 10-18-2011 10:51 PM

I'm definitely scared going through car washes, my hood has luckily held up so far!

Studbuster 10-18-2011 11:07 PM

Well, at least you have a metal hood.

My hood is a type of plastic! Just like the chrome wheels!

Stangshcky12 10-18-2011 11:15 PM

Press on the roofs of most new cars, that IMO is really scary!

Hedghawg71 10-18-2011 11:20 PM

The hood isn't thin sheet metal, it's Aluminum. Try putting a magnet to it and see. I found this out when we put my wife's truck in the body shop after golf ball sized hail had beaten her truck up. The insurance agent came out to look at it and the body shop had pointed it out to him and us at the same time. It is a tough hood though so I wouldn't worry about it flying off. The Mopar R/T hood I believe is sheet metal if I understood the stealership correctly when I was pondering buying one a couple of weeks ago.

gysnst2 10-19-2011 12:08 AM

I have noticed mine flexes alot on the expressway. But my 08 f150 flexes just as much. I wouldn't be to worried about it

bee1971 10-19-2011 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedghawg71 (Post 638769)
The hood isn't thin sheet metal, it's Aluminum. Try putting a magnet to it and see. I found this out when we put my wife's truck in the body shop after golf ball sized hail had beaten her truck up. The insurance agent came out to look at it and the body shop had pointed it out to him and us at the same time. It is a tough hood though so I wouldn't worry about it flying off. The Mopar R/T hood I believe is sheet metal if I understood the stealership correctly when I was pondering buying one a couple of weeks ago.

If someone would have told me that , i would have laughed years ago

Well that explains that - No wonder these hoods are bouncing around going down the highway and in the car wash - I dont know if thats a good or bad thing yet
Aluminum - Maybe the front fenders and doors are acid dipped and i got a max wedge under the hood HA HA HA

brad12kx 10-19-2011 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bee1971 (Post 638886)
......Maybe the front fenders and doors are acid dipped and i got a max wedge under the hood HA HA HA

Nahhh....Just a Hemi.... ;)

BlackBullet 10-19-2011 07:38 AM

have not noticed any flexing, will have to keep my eyes on this. crazy that its aluminum tho.