DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Want to raise stock slt ride height (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=94688)

topspin 10-19-2011 08:37 PM

Want to raise stock slt ride height

Guys - Thoughts on raising the ride height of a 2011 slt 4x4 with 17 inch rims..4.7L. Would like to get just a bit more off road look than stock and didn't want to pay for the big horn at time of purchase.

Can I just bolt on 20 inch wheels (OEM) and have the ride height of a big horn or was there a suspension difference in the big horn?

Another idea...has anyone installed a mild lift kit keeping the 17 inch wheels and can comment on the appearance? Any warranty issues to consider with a lift kit?

thanks to all in advance.....topspin

JTram0822 10-19-2011 10:24 PM

If you don't want to pay the money for a lift I would advise you to put you a leveling kit on your ram with will raise the front end up 2 in'.. That would actually get your front end higher than the bighorn and give you the off-road look that you are goin for. I have a 2 in' Hell bent leveling kit on my 2011 sport and it gives the truck a more aggressive look to it.. But in saying that beware cause if you do that your goin to want to go higher, I have had my leveling kit on for almost a year and now looking to put a 4 in' suspension lift on and run 35s under it...
But if your just looking for a cheap way to make your ram more aggressive then I say start with a leveling kit.. I am very happy with my Hell bent and it was only a 70 dollar kit and took at the most 2 hours to install... And also kept the factory warranty like your looking for..
If you decided to go with a leveling kit you could also go up in tire size and keep your 17 in' factory rims...
Hope this helps.... Not all the info your looking for but I saw that your just looking for a cheap and quick way to get a more aggressive look to your ram which is exactly what I wanted when I got mine..

erm 10-20-2011 12:17 AM

I'd go with the level kit, 17's or stock 20's and a bit taller tire.

An aftermarket kit will not, obviously, be warranted by Dodge. If it breaks, and damages an OEM piece, there's no warranty on that part either.

However, they cannot totally void your truck's warranty just because you installed a level kit.

icywhite 10-20-2011 12:51 AM

yeah what they said the kit and larger more aggressive tires on ur 17s or the 20s and the same

topspin 10-20-2011 08:20 AM

Guys thanks for the great advice about the levelling kit I will look that up online. It does sound like an inexpensive way to go. I realize the truck is a bit raked stock and raising just the front end alone some will give it a more aggressive look.

Still would like to know if anyone can tell me if the big horn package had any different suspension components or if the only ride height difference was the 20 inch wheels....?