DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Remote Door Fob (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=94714)

Dancianne 10-20-2011 05:55 AM

Remote Door Fob

My Ram didn't come standard with a remote door operating fob, but I'd love to have one. If I buy one, either OEM or aftermarket, is there something else I'd need installed inside the door(s) for that to work? My locks are electrically operated by pushbutton, but I suspect that there must be some other component that receives the signal and then that tells the locks how to operate?

11HEM1 10-20-2011 07:13 AM

Nope wont need anything the truck already has everything I got mine done at the dealer for 339 installed

Dancianne 10-21-2011 02:50 AM

That sounds great! Love the convenience and will get one next time I am by there !
Thank you !

gysnst2 10-21-2011 06:51 AM

If all it needs is a new key fob why is it so expensive. The dealer just bought me a new key fob and an new key. It was 219 programmed.

Dancianne 10-22-2011 04:22 AM

keyless fob

I see one on the aftermarket side from iKeyless.com that resembles the 2-button OEM style exactly, being offered at 69.95 but it would have to be programmed. It includes a blank key which can be cut to fit the door but does not start the engine. I have not checked to see what the dealer charges for programming, but I have read up on a procedure where user programming is possible if you have two original ignition keys,...similiar to programming a garage door opener. That may or may not work with the Ram. Probably only sure way to go is back to the dealer for everything.

wbowyer 10-23-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancianne (Post 639583)
My Ram didn't come standard with a remote door operating fob, but I'd love to have one. If I buy one, either OEM or aftermarket, is there something else I'd need installed inside the door(s) for that to work? My locks are electrically operated by pushbutton, but I suspect that there must be some other component that receives the signal and then that tells the locks how to operate?

My dealer refused to install a Mopar part, so I went to BestBuy and had them install a Viper remote start. Compared to the factory remote starter on my work trucks the viper blow them away.

2000 foot range
remote confirms lock/unlock/start via led lights and beeps
if started it alerts you when the vehicle has been started for more than 10 minutes, and you can reset the timer to allow it to keep running.
can hit the remote start button and take the key out and leave the motor running while making a quick stop.
even have the ability to check the temperature in the vehicle through the remote.

I'm a big fan of viper, and have their security tint installed as well (prevents glass from shattering if someone tries to break in).