DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   Security Light? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=94802)

CajunDodge 10-21-2011 03:55 AM

Security Light?

Ok, this is a question for a friend of mine who has a 2007 Ram HD 3500. Recently he was in a bit of an accident, messed up the driver's side fender, headlight, grille, bumper, etc. His truck has since been fixed but when he got it back from the body shop, the security light came on in the instrument cluster, little red light just to the left of the temp gauge. His truck is not equipped with an alarm system but the light comes on and stays on, even past the normal bulb check as if the system is arming? They have done the battery disconnect trick and he even had the main fuse block replaced, not sure why, but is there a way to turn this light off without taking it to the dealer and save him spending more money? If anyone has any other ideas feel free to enlighten me lol since electrical is not my strong suit, especially in these newer trucks, but it's driving him nuts in the meantime, so thanks in advance!

- Cajun

SS4Luck 10-21-2011 08:51 AM

Pull the cluster out and remove the bulb?? Its what we used to do for a couple lights that we couldnt get to turn off in some dedicated drag cars that i used to work on

RedneckMechanic 10-21-2011 09:46 AM

Sorry SS4Luck, I believe that light is an LED integrated into the circuit board. Yes, you COULD desolder and remove it, but that's A LOT of work just to turn off a light.

Cajun, I'll do some research at work today. Seems to me we had a Ram come in with that issue. I'll see what I can do.

brad12kx 10-21-2011 09:57 AM

That light is dual purpose. If it has the alarm, then it indicates the alarm is active...if flashing slowly; and it indicates a problem with the ignition key. However, if it's on solid, that is not a normal condition, and if it's on, the truck should not be drivable. I'm going to guess that there is a problem with either the WIN module of the instrument cluster.

If the computer is turning the light on, there should be a code associated with it that would help in the diagnosis. The code will not turn on the MIL.

CajunDodge 10-21-2011 04:02 PM

Thanks RedneckMechanic, please let me know what you find out! Brad, his MIL was already on before the accident and the only codes they've been able to find are for either a clogged line on the intake or a problem with the turbo, which he's already had fixed so I just think they didn't clear the codes after. I thought about the ignition key, also, since he and I both have the Sentry key. I looked in both his manual and mine and the only thing it says turns on that particular light is the arming of the alarm system. I would have thought it wouldn't be drivable, either, but he says it's running fine, just that darn light lol, :4-dontknow:. Thanks for the insight guys, keep it coming!

- Cajun

RedneckMechanic 10-23-2011 12:00 AM

No luck yet on my end. But I have a source at a Dodge dealership here in town that's going to do some checking for me. Could be a faulty control module for the alarm system. But then again, there's the running issue. Is there a start kill integrated into the alarm system? I was always under the impression that it was more of a deterrent than a prevention...

brad12kx 10-23-2011 12:41 AM

I'd start by doing a 'Cold Boot' of the entire system. That's the remove the battery cables, touch them together, sing a happy song, drink a beer and re-connect. This will force all the computers to completely re-boot and re-establish a friendly (hopefully) communications relationship with each other.....and it will clear the codes.

I just have this feeling that it's either a computer mixup, or the driver (the electronic version that operates electricity, not the biological form that operates the steering wheel :)) that operates that light is internally shorted out....which would require replacement of the instrument cluster. Although possible (high improbable) this is caused by an external module sending data to turn the light on, I'm reluctant to believe that, as the same signal that turns it on, tells the truck to NOT start as the key is the wrong key.

CajunDodge 10-25-2011 08:26 AM

Not sure about that one RedneckMechanic, but I believe you're right in that it's more of a deterrent than prevention.

Brad, looks like we're going to give the cold boot a try tomorrow on my day off and I have some time to go look at it again. He has some other problems with it as well so might be doing tie rods also, but trying to help him get his truck back on the road as it's his work truck and he's had too much down time already. :(

- Cajun