DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Over heating problem (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=94886)

CamoBoy34 10-22-2011 02:33 PM

Over heating problem

ok i have a 2005 quad cab 4x4 with the 4.7 obviously and it has an overheating problem. i have changed the water pump, thermostat and bled all the air out of the system and its full of anti freeze and it still runs about 220 degrees. also on a side note i am getting anti freeze into #8 cylinder. i am stumped on what to do so what do you all think is the problem?

hemiv8dodgeram1500 10-24-2011 12:10 AM

My guess would be head gasket problem. if too much coolant is getting in the cylinder you will bend a rod so be careful. i dont know a lot about this though wait until more experienced members chime in

icywhite 10-24-2011 01:24 AM

yep man most likly head gasket the 4.7 are bad about blowing them. esp if you have coolant in the cylinder and it is usely at the number 8 i went though it not to long ago

snrusnak 10-24-2011 10:02 PM

I triple a head gasket issue. Remove the head and replace the head gasket is the fix(a little bit more difficult of a job due to overhead cams....)

CamoBoy34 10-26-2011 11:33 AM

ok thaks for the input i think i will do it over christmas break. now i am goiong to school for john deere mechanic and am pretty good with a wrench. do you think i will be able to pull this apart and replace the gasket without any "special" tools? plus is there anything that needs special attention due to the over head cam?

CamoBoy34 10-26-2011 11:38 AM

plus would the head gasket be causing my motor to run hot?

snrusnak 10-26-2011 02:14 PM

^ I'm not an expert in this subject but if you're losing coolant due to the head gasket then yes you would run hot I'd say.

If your handy it shouldn't be too bad of a job. hardest part would probably be removing the cam, I think you have to remove part of the timing chain, I've never done it on the 4.7L, try PMing superiorstyles he can answer your questions he's done it.

GTyankee 10-26-2011 02:38 PM

a partially blocked radiator could cause over heating
i would replace the thermostat also, the newer ones when they go bad, stick OPEN, not closed like the old style
sticking closed almost guaranteed warped heads

the good thing about the 4.7 & 3.7 engines, is they can be replaced with a new or good used one, you just use the original intake manifold with all the electronics still on it, along with all the original type sensors. That way you don't have to switch out the computers

CamoBoy34 10-26-2011 07:58 PM

i just changed the thermostat and the water pump but havent done anything with the radiator yet

Denlevi 10-30-2011 10:15 AM

Blown head gasket will certainly overheat the engine as the coolant leaks out, and damage that motor if its ran that way. Also X2 on the radiator. Change it of you are not sure, it is worth it in the long run for peace of mind. Some folks will dump stop-leak in the coolant to try to fix a headgasket problem or leak and that can plug the radiator cores. I had overheating issues with an older dakota 5.2L i had purchased used, replaced everything I could think of, thermostat, water pump, fan clutch, and it ended up being the radiator was partially blocked. It was a pain to diagnose because it it still flowed coolant just not enough to keep it cool under load.