DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   passenger floor board wet (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=94896)

dsol 10-22-2011 04:30 PM

passenger floor board wet

i got a 1996 dodge ram club cab and the passenger floor board is wet after a rain. i know its gotta be the door seal but i cant find were its leaking at. didnt know if anyone had this problem and knew a solution.

hemiv8dodgeram1500 10-23-2011 11:55 PM

do you have roof lights?

dsol 10-24-2011 01:18 PM

sure do.. but my brother inlaws 96 doesnt..and he has the same leak and puddle shape as i do. its not the heater core. i know its the door seal somewhere i just cant see a spot where it is messed up.

Dieselkiss 10-28-2011 01:15 PM

Door seal

If you're convinced it's the door seal, why not just replace the whole thing rather than looking for the one spot?

I've never done this on my ram, but have on other cars. Just seems like the easiest solution to an annoying problem.

GTyankee 10-28-2011 01:47 PM

I remember a similar thing happening, but i don't know if it was older or newer Rams

Somewhere up near the top of the passenger door post, there is a drain tube, this tube can get plugged with debris, like leaf fragments. When this happens, people were getting a wet floor. I believe there is another like tube on the drivers side. I don't know if it is on the door or the windshield.
I seem to remember that some people were seeing moisture around the screw(s) holding the inside plastic piece on the door post

Good luck fixing the problem

dsol 10-28-2011 08:23 PM

thanks for the info...i will check for this drain tube and if its not clogged will have to look into replace the whole seal

primo spaghetti 12-15-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsol (Post 645653)
thanks for the info...i will check for this drain tube and if its not clogged will have to look into replace the whole seal

I just fixed the same problem on my old 96 ram. it is the third brake light seal. i read about the same problem on ramforumz on newer rams like my 2010, so i thought id check the 96. sure enough when i took out the third brake light there was some condensation in the lens.

once the light is removed, you will see there is a channel that takes any water the passes by the gasket and it is supposed to drain out the weeping drain on either bottom corner of the rear window. That actually deos work on my 96, but here is where the problem lies.

on the interior side of the rear window behind the plastic trim, you will see two holes on either side of the window that actually go into the weeper drain from the third brake light and the water comes in there...unbelievable right! i had this same leak for a year or more on my 96 and blamed the door seal too.

my old 96 (which i just sold to a friend but am helping him get it running again due to a tranny problem) is a space cab. it always appeared that the water would pool on the passenger side floorboard (SOAKING IT). finally this weekend after reading on the forums about the seal problem in the newer rams, i thought i gotta look again. sure enough when we pulled the side panel in therear seat and checked under the plastic trim, the floor was wet all along the passenger floor (under the side window and kick plate) from the back of the cab to the front.

a little urethane or silicone to fill the holes on the interior window side and some clear silicone or a thinker rubber gasket around the third brake light should do the trick! it did for me.

dsol 12-24-2011 02:39 PM

thanks, i will look into this after dealing with my horrible wheel bearing :P a thousand thank yous sir

Race1Mopar 12-24-2011 07:47 PM

The problem is the ac drain is clogged. Look under your ram by the passenger tire and there is an opening on the firewall where the ac condensation drains. If it's clogged you can unclog it by blowing air in there. If that doesn't fix it the seal around the tube may be bad and it's just flowing back inside. I took a piece of tubing and connected it to the piece coming out the fire wall, then an immediate elbow, then a tubing draining down and it solved that problem for me. Lots cheaper than replacing that seal.

Good luck and let us know what fixes it.
Joe

johnnymopar 12-25-2011 12:00 AM

Good info here! I wonder if a similar problem exists with my 98 Yukon which is being retired once my 2012 Ram 1500 arrives. You guys are very knowledgeable, give yourself a pat on the back.