DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Lowering Suspension Question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=95149)

5.7ram 10-25-2011 10:09 PM

Lowering Suspension Question

So iam ready to pull the trigger on my lowering suspension. I want to do the complete kit, springs and shocks.

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport CC.

1: Whats the lowest Suspension that they make for our trucks?

2: Whats the best BRAND of suspension ?
Coils and Shocks.

Thanks

erm 10-26-2011 02:18 PM

Well, McGauhey's and Bell Tech make a 2/4 mechanical drop for your truck.

Bell Tech has always made some good quality stuff.

Other options would include a full airbag set up or a set of coilovers.

I am not sure who, if anybody, makes a set of coilovers for these trucks but a bit of research may bring some up.

I have KW coilovers on my SRT and love 'em. You might check out their website to see if they have a set for the truck.

Good luck!

11ram256 10-27-2011 03:13 PM

Here is what i have came up with after a little research:

Belltech seems to have the best springs as far as ride quality/tow capacity go.

Mcgaughys is the only kit that has a solution for the shorter sway bar endlinks needed to correct the angles that are present after lowering the rear.

Mcgaughys also offers a track bar relocator bracket to correct the axle shift when lowering the rear. I have heard of some people having issues getting it to line up but from my research that was just with the first batch after the kit was developed.

I have heard that Mcgaughys springs are slightly softer so you might have problems if your trying to tow a large load.

Mcgaughys claims that the kit doesnt need aftermarket shocks since the axle will hit bumpstops before the actual shock itself bottoms out. The shocks that come with aftermarket lowering kits are mainly just shorter to make sure the axle bottoms out before the shock does to keep from blowing out shocks. They are valved slightly different to give a "sportier" feel and to help prevent bottoming out but unless your going with a Coilover setup on all 4 corners the ride between a factory shock that has adequate travel left after lowering and a drop shock will not be very noticable.

Here is what i plan to go with:

Mcgaughys economy kit w/ shorter endlinks and track bar relocator(lowering springs front and rear) ~ $450

Helper bags for the rear coils to help prevent bottoming out when towing ~ $100

Sorry for writing a book but im in the same boat you are so i figured my input would help you out.

5.7ram 10-27-2011 11:14 PM

I for sure do not want the truck to bottom out , but for year's i have always heard BellTech is the Ferrari of suspension for truck's...
Now that you mention KW's , i wil contact them and see whats up. I would love to have a full coilover kit...

25bduse 01-05-2012 09:56 PM

What supporting mods are needed with the bell tech 2/4

thmupr 01-15-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11ram256 (Post 644870)
Mcgaughys economy kit w/ shorter endlinks and track bar relocator(lowering springs front and rear) ~ $450

Helper bags for the rear coils to help prevent bottoming out when towing ~ $100

Just curious.. Is the Mcgaughys kit a 2"/4" or is it like the Ground Force, 1.75/3? I love the way the GF kit looks, but damn it's expensive for what it contains! I too am going drop my crewcab very soon, just gotta find the right kit for the $$$.

Stuck2theAxles 01-15-2012 11:36 PM

The lowest you can go is to buy my kit and buy belltech SP shocks haha and thats the ultimate set up, ive already done the testing now you get to enjoy

5.7ram 01-16-2012 07:17 PM

B.T suspension is on it's way..... I can't wait. Wheels and tires are ready to slap on...

jorhfo 07-30-2012 05:23 AM

Trying to put a front end 1 3/8 sway bar on from suspension connection. The hardware they sent with the sway bar looked like a 5 year old made it. The sway bar was to long and would not connect with the control arms. Has anyone out there had this problem? I'm thinking about retrying to put on the new sway bar using the stock hardware, being that the stock hardware actually swivels. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

CHVYKLR 07-30-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 25bduse (Post 688444)
What supporting mods are needed with the bell tech 2/4

I also bought an adjustable Sphons panhard bar. The kit already comes with shorter sway bar endlinks.