DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Forum CANADA (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Insult to Injury (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=95247)

Ramitup 10-26-2011 10:46 PM

Insult to Injury

So i picked up a nice set of Nitto 305 50 20's on Sunday to put on the R/T and get put on at Kal Tire in the city today. Then about 3 pm get a call from them saying they cant install them cause they are too wide. They fit on the back but they wont go on the front because there was clearance issues with the sway bar. They said i need wheel spacers or different rims for f sake. Something about 0degrees offset or something rather . man i was so looking forward to see those tires on the truck. So im driving home from work which is a 200 km round trip for me when all of a sudden the little yellow tire light comes on ,great get out and find i blew the back tire. Good thing i was only 1 mile from home on the grid road when it happend. so the factory wranglers lasted 41000 kms on rear and my fronts look to have about 40 % left. im not sure which route to go because i love these Nitto tires and want them on dang it . I need a tire expert stat lol.:4-dontknow:

carterruss 10-26-2011 10:53 PM

Very strange that they fit the rim but not the truck? Why not just get spacers, seems like the best alternative. But hopefully someone can give you a reasonable reason why they don't fit

GeauxHunting 10-26-2011 10:58 PM

I say just grab some wheel spacers!

erm 10-26-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carterruss (Post 644506)
Very strange that they fit the rim but not the truck? Why not just get spacers, seems like the best alternative. But hopefully someone can give you a reasonable reason why they don't fit

That's pretty common. It has to do with the offset.

Spacers should fix you up if you don't need to move them out too much. Otherwise, it's a different wheel that's needed for them to fit and not rub.

If it's just a little rub on the sway bar at full steering lock, then don't worry about it.

nYmPhMoBiLe08 10-27-2011 12:24 AM

Its probably rubbing the upper control arm. I had the same issue and put 1/4 inch shims and that solved the problem! Ask them how much they dont fit by and if they say they barely rub the go with 1/4 inch shims! GL and keep us updated!

Ramitup 10-30-2011 12:03 PM

Tires are on

Put the truck up on floor jack to see how much clearance i had with the original tires. I have about 3/4 " between upper control arm and sidewall of tire. So i picked up two spacers that are 5/16 thick and installed them and i have about the same clearance now with the Nittos now.The only thing i didnt like about using the spacers is that it brought out the wheel a little further on the hub but its still on it lol. Holy crap those new tires really hook up better than the factory ones. Less wheel spin now and it really launchs the truck now. it feels alot quicker now maybe because they are about an inch less in diameter.

nYmPhMoBiLe08 10-30-2011 02:01 PM

Which Nittos did you get?

Ramitup 10-30-2011 10:49 PM

Nitto 420 S .305/50R 20

icywhite 10-30-2011 10:54 PM

yeah ramitup the wang. HP sux bad for anything other then grandpa driving

Ramitup 10-30-2011 11:00 PM

Yep about the only good thing about them is that they filled the wheel wells!