DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   replacement dash! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=95320)

logtice 10-28-2011 01:34 AM

replacement dash!

4 Attachment(s)
Well ive posted a few pics of my dash.... so say the least ANYTHING would be an improvement, so i decided to go to the junk yard and see if i can find a replacement! i looked thru 18 second gen Rams and no dashs! coming to the last one, i opened the door and was amazed to find a dash in pretty good shape! it was only in 3 diff pieces so i decided to give it a try! I think it came out pretty good! just have to get a dash cap or a carpet now! ill post more pics!

Attachment 22964
this is the dash i had in the truck haha
Attachment 22967
after i removed all the old dash
Attachment 22966
i used plastic locktight and JB quick to piece it together!
Attachment 22965
and the other.

logtice 10-28-2011 01:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the final product!

i did have to do some plastic welding, well alot haha you can still see the cracks and such, but the main reason why i did this was to get a dash cam for it. before there was nothing for the cap to acctually glue on to.
opinions would be nice!

GTyankee 10-28-2011 01:58 AM

I will say that it looks much better

you could use some of this & make it look just a bit better
PERMATEX® Pro Style Vinyl and Leather Repair Kit
A complete professional kit with plug-in electric heat iron to make pro-style repairs. Contains: professional electric heat tool, 7 OEM color compounds, clear vinyl adhesive and filler (net .34 oz.), grain pattern paper, metal spatula, plastic dashboard hardening powder.

Suggested Applications:
Vinyl and leather upholstery, dashboards, vinyl tops, marine upholstery, luggage.

Prod 81781
$20.00

Dieselkiss 10-28-2011 12:53 PM

How much hassle is that top piece to get out?

About a year ago I fitted central locks and electric windows to mine and had originally wanted to remove the top part of the dash to do it. I couldn't work out how to get it out so ended up just removing all the front sections of the dash which gave me enough room to run the looms through.

my dash now has some serious cracks in it and I've considered either putting one of the dash caps you can buy on it or just replacing the dash top completely with a new or used good one. It depends how it's done and how much hassle it is, so any head's up on that??

logtice 10-28-2011 01:55 PM

well the hardest part about removing the dash, there are like 5 little strews attached thru bracets... but the are goin into the dash from the firewall! the dash from factory is put in as one complete unit, cluster radio glove compartment and dash...

i could not find a way to remove those screws without destroying the dash, so i just reached up there with a pair of snips and broke the plastic the screws go into, which didnt crack the dash anymore just removed those screws

ramfam 10-30-2011 12:39 PM

what about pass air bag? I want to get new dash. fix it once and for all.

logtice 11-01-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramfam (Post 646518)
what about pass air bag? I want to get new dash. fix it once and for all.

the air bag is held in with 5 or 6 screws, just pull out the glove box there is a plastic trim piece around the latch, remove that too. 2 big screws under the bottom and 3 across the front. you will also have to remove the latch for the glove box, 2 screws.

IMPORTANT* make sure and disconnect ur battery before you start messing with the air bag! dont want that shit blowing in you face! =]