DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Viper 5501 Remote Start Install (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=95338)

Schnitzer21 10-28-2011 06:01 PM

Viper 5501 Remote Start Install

I was looking into getting the Viper 5501 remote start system for my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 and I was thinking about doing the install myself. Does anyone have any experience with installing a viper remote start system on the 2010's? I have a 4yr electronics degree so I am quite familiar with wiring, soldering, etc so that doesn't really deter me much, its just getting all the parts together right and programmed correctly! :) I would just have best buy do it but I can purchase the system for a hell of a lot cheaper online, and if I can install it myself it would be leaps and bounds cheaper. Any info is appreciated! Thanks guys! :smileup:

richbear808 10-29-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schnitzer21 (Post 645528)
I was looking into getting the Viper 5501 remote start system for my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 and I was thinking about doing the install myself. Does anyone have any experience with installing a viper remote start system on the 2010's? I have a 4yr electronics degree so I am quite familiar with wiring, soldering, etc so that doesn't really deter me much, its just getting all the parts together right and programmed correctly! :) I would just have best buy do it but I can purchase the system for a hell of a lot cheaper online, and if I can install it myself it would be leaps and bounds cheaper. Any info is appreciated! Thanks guys! :smileup:

I had mine installed on my 2010. What I was told is that I needed more than just the install kit, I needed to buy a special chip to put in because they dont come with the chip, thats all I can tell you. Im a noob lol

kmalazzo 10-30-2011 04:13 PM

I have a viper 5901 best buy installed on my 2010 1500. The only thing about these new trucks is the bypass modules you need for the remote start keep having programing issues. I've gone through two different ones already and I'm about to go back and replace it with another one. There is nothing wrong with the install itself, but they give you a lifetime warranty on the install so for example if your bypass isn't working right they will swap it out like with mine.

GTyankee 10-30-2011 07:15 PM

I believe that i would talk to an Automotive Alarm/Audio shop, if for no other reason, to pick their brains for info
The shop that i use also works on Classics, like '32 Fords, etc. They install fancy audio systems & alarms to protect them

Look at the Viper, Clifford, & Python set ups at least

Schnitzer21 10-31-2011 10:01 AM

Good info guys, Do you think I could get Best Buy to do the install if I didn't purchase the system and bypass module from them? I know I can get them cheaper elsewhere online. They would probably charge an arm and a leg to install being I didn't buy it from them though. Maybe I will have to go have a chat with a Best Buy rep.

Outlaw 10-31-2011 06:35 PM

I'm thinking of getting the oem mopar remote start setup.

Schnitzer21 11-01-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbrambo497 (Post 647257)
I'm thinking of getting the oem mopar remote start setup.

what kind of range do you get with the mopar setup?

Outlaw 11-01-2011 11:09 AM

I've heard it's roughly 300'

Schnitzer21 11-01-2011 11:14 AM

hmm...not as far as some of the aftermarket remote starts, but if its plug and play and I could install it myself, except for programming the keys, it might not be a bad route to take...

Outlaw 11-01-2011 11:26 AM

Dealer has to install and flash it to work. It's not as simple as you think.