DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Disappointed in the "Pulling Power" (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=95342)

JaredSS 10-28-2011 05:38 PM

Disappointed in the "Pulling Power"

Hey all,
This past weekend my wife and I took a trip down to Land Between The Lakes which is between Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake in Western KY. Anyways, it was the first trip with our 8.5' X 14' enclosed trailer (approx 2500#) and inside a Polaris RZR (approx 1100#). So right around 4000#, not a tall order IMO. Anyways, going down the parkway/interstate it was all it could do to run 70MPH and it was turning about 2900 RPM to do so and got about 8 mpg doing this. I have ordered a weight distribution hitch hoping this will level out the load and the truck because it was a little hunched in the back of truck and front of trailer, but was wondering what everybody else is towing and if anybody had any advice for mods on this. I have had this truck 6 months and am kicking myself in the butt for not spending the money on the 5.7L or even the Cummins.:po:

erm 10-28-2011 05:43 PM

Well, that's obviously a solution but it may be beyond your means right now...

You've got some things you can do...improve HP & mileage by adding a CAI and exhaust, get a programmer and consider going to a taller gear if you are going to be pulling a lot.

Also, if you had it in O/D vs. Tow/Haul, I'd try the next tow with Tow/Haul mode selected.

Stangshcky12 10-28-2011 05:47 PM

The 5.7 or even just some taller gears would help you out

JaredSS 10-29-2011 10:07 AM

I have a K & N Drop in air filter and flowmaster exhaust installed; I am strongly considering a chip but after being on Superchip and Diablo's websites they do not offer a chip for the 2011 4.7L, do you have any idea as to if the 2010 will work on the 2011, i thought it should but I don't know for sure...

snrusnak 10-29-2011 10:45 PM

2010 tuner won't work for 2011. There are currently no tuners for 2011 or newer. I've had well over 4,000 lb on my truck, with 3.55 and with tow/haul and superchips tow tune it pulled like nothing was there. I've even had more than the truck is rated to tow (which is 6,250) and it pulled it pretty good.

Towing at 70mph is not good practice, takes excessive power, gives you poor economy, and is dangerous. Towing closer to 60mph should give you much better results, whether you have a 4.7 or 5.7. My friend has a chevy 2500 and told me it couldn't tow 8,500 lb at 80 mph easily so it was a POS....really? Towing should be done at reasonable speed...

Old Dodger 10-30-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaredSS (Post 645913)
I have a K & N Drop in air filter and flowmaster exhaust installed; I am strongly considering a chip but after being on Superchip and Diablo's websites they do not offer a chip for the 2011 4.7L, do you have any idea as to if the 2010 will work on the 2011, i thought it should but I don't know for sure...

Contact Superchip and they will tell you if it is compatable.

icywhite 11-03-2011 08:57 PM

well i say gears and cams to get more tq i towed a 3500lb trailer doing 70 to 80 most of the way on a my dropped ram with no real issues

12ft footer and my rpms didnt change much now i do have ho cams and 4.56s my issues would have been is i towed more id want to upgrade my brakes

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/v...photos/012.jpg

icywhite 11-03-2011 09:06 PM

and i got 11.5 mpg

Gene K 11-06-2011 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaredSS (Post 645545)
Hey all,
This past weekend my wife and I took a trip down to Land Between The Lakes which is between Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake in Western KY. Anyways, it was the first trip with our 8.5' X 14' enclosed trailer (approx 2500#) and inside a Polaris RZR (approx 1100#). So right around 4000#, not a tall order IMO. Anyways, going down the parkway/interstate it was all it could do to run 70MPH and it was turning about 2900 RPM to do so and got about 8 mpg doing this. I have ordered a weight distribution hitch hoping this will level out the load and the truck because it was a little hunched in the back of truck and front of trailer, but was wondering what everybody else is towing and if anybody had any advice for mods on this. I have had this truck 6 months and am kicking myself in the butt for not spending the money on the 5.7L or even the Cummins.:po:

Nature of the beast. It needs some rpm to make power. I usually lock mine in ERS-4 when towing a car trailer. 2350 rpm @ 60 mph is still pretty low for a gas engine when towing.

I suspect the issue with your trailer has as much to do with frontal area as weight. Mine hardly notices a boat of the same weight.

BigHornKev 01-04-2012 09:01 PM

Mine struggles as well with my 16foot trailer towing my polaris ranger crew. At 65mph going up a hill it feels like it is trying to sqeeze out a turd or something. Also getting 9-11mpg but it is a 4x4. I feel let down mself!