DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Front Wheel Bearing/Hub Assembly (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=95533)

fxdrider 10-31-2011 06:45 AM

Front Wheel Bearing/Hub Assembly

I've got the dreaded wheel bearing noise coming from the left front wheel. It's starting to sound like I'm riding in the cabin of a propellor-driven airplane. I'd like to do the work myself and save the huge chunk money the dealership will undoubtedly want for it, and I found this How-To video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Fzv...eature=mh_lolz

Question is - is it really as easy as it looks in this video? It seems like the worse part was loosening the 3 bolts that hold the hub on.

RedneckMechanic 10-31-2011 10:06 AM

Yes, it really IS that easy. BUT, those bolts are torqued to 100+ ft-lb... Gonna take a serious breaker bar to get them loose. Also, getting the hub assembly to separate from the knuckle can be a pain. Usually a few good hammer hits to the perimeter of the hub assembly will break the rust and dirt loose. (Hit it to try and turn the rotor in the spindle, misaligning the holes) Then with either a pry bar, or a hammer work all the way around to pop it loose. I usually rap the back side of the hub flange (don't hit the backing plate for the brakes) pretty hard and it's usually enough to get it out. Going to take some work. It's not just gonna fall out.

When it comes time to reassemble, make sure the spindle hole is cleaned free of any residual dust and dirt, insert new assembly into hole, then use the bolts to suck it in. Go a few threads at a time until it's fully seated. I, personally, usually put a little dab of blue Loc-Tite on the threads JUST to make sure I don't have problems later. And do make sure to torque them. Lord knows you don't want that stuff falling apart doing 60+ down the highway...

fxdrider 11-01-2011 06:30 AM

Well, I was all set to do it - bought the Timken hub assembly at AutoZone. I decided to call the local dealer to see what the job would cost in case I got stuck at some point. They said they'd install my part for $178. I thought about it for a moment, and told them "I'll be there in an hour".
I know...I'm a chicken.

RedneckMechanic 11-02-2011 01:37 PM

No shame in admitting when you think you might be in over your head. Nothing sucks more than trying to do a job on your daily driver and realizing A) you don't know how to complete the job and B) you don't have the tools to do it right. $178 isn't too bad. Glad you were able to get it done though.

fxdrider 11-03-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedneckMechanic (Post 648275)
No shame in admitting when you think you might be in over your head. Nothing sucks more than trying to do a job on your daily driver and realizing A) you don't know how to complete the job and B) you don't have the tools to do it right. $178 isn't too bad. Glad you were able to get it done though.

That's exactly what I thought. I could just imagine busting off one of the hub mounting bolts or something - then I WOULD be in a bind.

dfskinner 11-18-2011 12:48 PM

fxdrider where in Va are you located?

I just tried to replace my hub assembly on the passanger side... spent about 2 hours at the base hobby shop and couldn't get the drive shaft to slide off the transaxle.... not enough room to slide it towards the axle.... I also watched the video posted above, but they left off a step where they apparently dropped the axle to make room to remove the drive shaft for a 4X4 vehilce..... I've still got my assembly, just not sure how to perform the last step... I'm looking for some step by step instructions (I'm working on the passanger side)..... if anyone has any tips....