DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram MPG Zone (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Reduced gas mileage (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=95601)

jj ram 11-01-2011 02:00 PM

Reduced gas mileage

Hey guys,
I have noticed recently that my gas mileage has been getting worse.

I drive daily to and from work a 34 mile (55 KM) each way highway commute, with stop and go city traffic for the last 10 miles.

I was averaging around 18 mpg (12.5 L/110KM) but it has now increased to 16 mpg (14.5 L/100 kms). I am running no modifications and have not changed driving habits.

The truck has 29,000 miles (47,000 kms) on it. I know the spark plug change is coming up, would it make that much of a difference in gas mileage? I have noticed that the truck has lost some of it's "get up an' go". The air filter was changed not that long ago.

Barnyard 11-01-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj ram (Post 647653)
Hey guys,
I have noticed recently that my gas mileage has been getting worse.

I drive daily to and from work a 34 mile (55 KM) each way highway commute, with stop and go city traffic for the last 10 miles.

I was averaging around 18 mpg (12.5 L/110KM) but it has now increased to 16 mpg (14.5 L/100 kms). I am running no modifications and have not changed driving habits.

The truck has 29,000 miles (47,000 kms) on it. I know the spark plug change is coming up, would it make that much of a difference in gas mileage? I have noticed that the truck has lost some of it's "get up an' go". The air filter was changed not that long ago.

Ethanol back in the gas for the winter? Check to see that your local blend for gasoline hasn't changed.

wickedpissahtruck 11-01-2011 06:05 PM

Yup, that would be my guess too. I always notice a decrease in performance/ efficiency during the winter months and have always attributed it to gd ethanol.

clatla 11-02-2011 11:18 PM

Check your tire pressure. The colder air temps affect the tire pressure. Mine were down 5lbs from this summer.

Bugeater 11-05-2011 12:08 PM

Are there any fuel mileage mods that are cost effective?

erm 11-05-2011 12:50 PM

The winter blend fuel may be the culprit here.

I did an intake, exhaust and programmer and gained almost 4 MPG on the highway. Anything you can do to make the engine more efficient (better air in, better air out, optimal fuel delivery & timing settings, smooth driving techniques, etc...) will all help to improve fuel mileage.

Gene K 11-06-2011 05:01 AM

You get worse mileage this time of year even without gasoline formulation changes. The engine oil takes longer to warm up. Lubricants in the entire drivetrain and wheel bearings are colder and thicker, the tire casing takes longer to warm up and the average wind speeds are higher.