DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Superchips Cortex Ram give more HP/Torque? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=95687)

JinxCanada 11-02-2011 06:53 PM

Superchips Cortex Ram give more HP/Torque?

I'm just wondering if this thing will give me more HP and more Torque PLUS better fuel economy?

My buddy has an F350 super duty deisel and he put a computer in which gives him over 600hp and amazing gas economy on top of it. Will this or any other product give me MORE HP as well as better fuel mileage??? TIA

and yes i'm brand new..sorry guys.

05ram 11-02-2011 08:31 PM

Yes it will do all three but when you add more power you tend to drive it harder and loose mpg.

JinxCanada 11-02-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05ram (Post 648523)
Yes it will do all three but when you add more power you tend to drive it harder and loose mpg.

How much more HP will this give me? I can live with the mileage being worse...it'll be my own fault. LOL

btw..I BOUGHT THE TRUCK!!! Tonight actually, I pick it up friday! WOOT WOOT!!!

snrusnak 11-02-2011 08:51 PM

You can check the superchips website for the gains, if I remember correctly it's pretty significant, like 30 hp and 40 lb ft or so, don't quote me on that though. That is a MAX gain also, not a peak gain, be aware of that. Peak gain is probably more like 15 hp. Economy should increase, but like he said depends on how you drive it. Tuners are great on gassers, but they are unbelievable on diesels...

erm 11-02-2011 09:09 PM

I agree with that ^^^^ and would suggest if you do a programmer that you also go with a cold air intake and a freer flowing exhaust to take full advantage of the programmer. These three items are the best bang for the buck mods you can do for performance of the HEMI.

js1977 11-02-2011 10:13 PM

Programmers are nice, they add a good amount of HP/TQ but to truly get gains, you should add CAI and exhaust or your not getting out what you fully paid for. Diesels get so much more, but don't focus on that too much.

JinxCanada 11-02-2011 10:52 PM

I got ya. Now is a K&N intake different than a CAI? I had a K&N on my F150 FX4 and honestly I didn't notice any difference at all. As for the exhaust...well, i'm thinking that will be kinda pricey right? That might have to wait. but...better fuel mileage would DEFINITELY be worth getting a tuner for even if I got NO more HP gain at all.

What kind of mileage can i get with a Superchips compared to stock? I looked at their website, but maybe i'm looking in the wrong spot because i didn't see any specs of with/without their product listed.

JinxCanada 11-03-2011 02:36 AM

what is the best exhaust kit to get??? any suggestions and retailers? thanks guys!

snrusnak 11-03-2011 07:52 AM

They don't really advertise mpg gains and don't back them up, because it depends on how you drive, and varies with so many things. I'd say with a tuner on the performance tune you would definitely pick up 1 mpg avg. Some claim as much as 2, 3, or 4 mpg. I picked up about 1 mpg city, and up to 3 or 4 mpg hwy. I wouldn't get it based on just expecting huge mpg gains, most get it for the performance and the mpg gains are a side effect lol. Keep in mind you have to run higher octane with most of the tunes...but normally the cost/mile still is cheaper. I figured out that my SC will have paid for itself in about 2 years.