DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Ring and pinion rlacement help! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=95801)

bigmikelrg 11-04-2011 06:48 PM

Ring and pinion rlacement help!

Does anyone know how to break it down 1 step at a time for me to pull the old ring and pinion out and put the new one in and put it back together right? I know motors but diferentials no way I have a 3.55 and trying to put in a 4.10 but don't want to start without a little guidance please help guys thanks for ur time and effort.:LOL:

blknout 11-04-2011 08:27 PM

the first thing is do you have the tools you need to check pinion depth and an indicator to check backlash in the gear. if you dont I wouldnt do it yourself

blknout 11-04-2011 08:36 PM

ok if you have the tools you need the first thing you do is take the diff cover off and drain the fluid. then you take the axles out there are two ways to do this. there is a c-clip holding axle in the differential gears is one way. that is most chevys use this set up. and the other way is behind the brake drums there is a flange with 4 or 5 bolts that hold axle in. see which one you have and thats how you get axles out

blknout 11-04-2011 08:45 PM

now you go into the rear. you will see 4 big bolts two on each side. losen them up then take them out. that will allow your carrier with the ring gear to come out, but be careful there is shim packs on both sides of the bearings keep them seperated from left and right. now you drop the drive shaft and you will see a big nut at the flange. that holds the pinion in loosen that with an impact gun and slide out the pinoin gear. take bearings out and crush collar

blknout 11-04-2011 09:03 PM

installation is the the tricky part. puth the bearings and new crush collar in then slide the pinion input the flange on and the big nut. you need to tighten the nut but do it slowly and check the drag on the pinion. set to manufactuers specs with torque wrench. inch pounds very important. if you over tighten the crush collar it is junk so be careful. now you check your pinion depth with tool. match it up to what is on the new pinion. once that is done and set put the ring gear on the carrier and instal carrier place in old shims in the original spots and bolt up. usually the original shims are perfect but not always. now check your backlash with an indicator and check it to manufactures specs. if it is not right then you have to play with the shims to get it right. once thats done you get your gear marking compound and put it on ring gear and spin you will see the pinion marks on it. it needs to be in the middle of the ring gear.once done and everything is torqued to specs. install axles drive shaft and cover put gear lube in and your done.

blknout 11-04-2011 09:06 PM

personallly i would bring it to a shop if you never did this before or have the tools to do it. rears blow up very easily if not correct and its not easy to do if you never done them before. so good luck

bigmikelrg 11-05-2011 05:06 AM

Ok wats the measurements of the pinion debth and the backlash

blknout 11-05-2011 06:37 AM

the pinion depth is usually marked with the gear set right on the face of the pinion gear. back lash is how much play is in the gear set every company is a little different but its around 15 to 20 thousandths on the dial indicator