DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   "Fake Chrome" Wheels (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=95848)

Rocky Harbour 11-05-2011 02:58 PM

"Fake Chrome" Wheels

It is always interesting to browse the individual years for this truck. You will always see posts regarding the shock and usually displeasure when people discover that their chrome rims are actually chromed plastic. I have started this poll to see who was aware of this when they purchased the vehicle. :poopstorm:

united316 11-05-2011 03:05 PM

I voted but don't own the rims because I knew they were plastic, just by reading the book and googleing Chrome Clad.

GTyankee 11-05-2011 03:09 PM

Actually i didn't look at anything when i bought it
I saw that it had an 8 cylinder, 4 wheel disc brakes, a tow hitch receiver, & a color that would be different from everyone else, & bucket seats
I never even drove it until after it i signed the paper work
It had a lot of what i needed to do my type of work & i added the rest

Stump3r 11-05-2011 03:14 PM

I researched my Ram for the better part of a year before I bought. I knew about all her little quirks, problems and abilities before I signed on the bottom line. Couldn't be happier even with the chrome clads....they will make great looking winter rims!

Hedghawg71 11-05-2011 03:23 PM

The wheels could have had pink bunny slippers over them for all I care. It had a HEMI and a 3.92 rear end for 16k after trade in and incentives! I can buy wheels anytime with that kind of savings. :smileup:

my hemi 11-05-2011 04:46 PM

wheel

hey guys dodge is not the only one who has those wheel i got a buick lucerne one off my friend as a cadilac with plastic crome wheel i dont know about ford but they built them now as cheap as they could to make money

Stainless 11-05-2011 10:05 PM

Yes i knew this.

JoeBlow 11-06-2011 01:18 AM

Yes i knew before I purchased. A salesman at a dealership told me about them, that's how I found out. I was already mentally committed to buying a ram, so it didn't stop me from buying the truck, but I must admit I was quite disappointed. IMO rims make a car, and often differentiate the cheaper models from the more expensive. These rims look good, but really they are crap. There is a reason they call them chrome clad, that is to keep most of us from realizing they are plastic. And the fact that other car companies r starting, or have been doing the same, doesn't make me feel any better. We paid a premium to have these rims, so it's not like its saving us any money to have plastic wheels. Just my 2 cents, but this is my one sticking point with the truck, and I don't like to sugar coat it and make excuses for it either. If I was that type, I might as well of bought the 6 cylinder and put hemi badges all over my truck.

brad12kx 11-06-2011 01:26 AM

I did not know there were plastic until I washed it the first time.
My previous Rams were 3/4T, and the rims were not plastic covered, so this was something new for me. I have no complaint with them at all. I think they look great, and the actual rim is aluminum, so it's not like the plastic is covering up some cheap stamped steel wheel.

Stagman 11-06-2011 06:02 AM

I like them!

I like the fact that they are plastic, it makes cleaning MUCH easier. Don't have the ability anymore to polish Wheels. My son wipes these down with a micro fiber towel after washing and they look awesome.