DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2012 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   New Member - New Longhorn Ordered (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=96031)

tobyjohnson11 11-07-2011 11:52 PM

New Member - New Longhorn Ordered

Hello All,

New member here and a first time Hemi Owner. I had a 2004 2500 Cummins and I loved it. I have drove GM vehicles most of my life, but decided to pull the trigger on a new ram.

I ordered a 2012 1500 4x2 Laramie Longhorn and have a few questions. I am looking to get the best mileage possible out of this truck. 95% of my trips are 100 miles on the interstate. I am thinking about adding a few things to the truck and would like some opinions and recommendations.

I ordered the 3.21 axle ratio in an attempt to maximize fuel mileage. I donít ever plan on pulling anything or racing anyone so losing the low end torque doesnít bother me.

Could adding a cold air intake, exhaust, and programmer help get better mileage?
I also am considering hid and led lights and a lockpick for the navigation system. Any experience with these items?

I saw on the Mopar website that there was an option to get a kicker subwoofer for the 2011 trucks. Has anyone ever upgraded the subwoofer and is the kicker subwoofer available for the 2012ís?

I am also considering an extended warranty. I donít know much about these hemi engines or transmissions. Would an extended warranty be a good idea?

I am sure I will have many more questions and I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks

Toby

emmyshemi 11-08-2011 02:32 PM

Congrats on your new truck, I think that interior is just awesome. I added a K&N cold air intake (series 63), and have just a slight improvement in fuel economy. They do sound nice when you step on it, and they claim a 15.8 hp gain on the dyno. I figured at just over $200 it was worth it. You should do all right on the highway setting that cruise control. As far as the warranty, I may be mistaken, but dosen't Chrysler allow you to extend the warranty anytime the truck is still under the given factory warranty?? If thats true, might as well wait until it's about to expire, then renew it. That way, you can get a feel or idea if you may or may not need it. Mine is just over 2 years old, and no problems with the powertrain, etc. Congrats again!

erm 11-08-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobyjohnson11 (Post 651584)
Hello All,

New member here and a first time Hemi Owner. I had a 2004 2500 Cummins and I loved it. I have drove GM vehicles most of my life, but decided to pull the trigger on a new ram.

I ordered a 2012 1500 4x2 Laramie Longhorn and have a few questions. I am looking to get the best mileage possible out of this truck. 95% of my trips are 100 miles on the interstate. I am thinking about adding a few things to the truck and would like some opinions and recommendations.

I ordered the 3.21 axle ratio in an attempt to maximize fuel mileage. I donít ever plan on pulling anything or racing anyone so losing the low end torque doesnít bother me.

Could adding a cold air intake, exhaust, and programmer help get better mileage?

Yes. You won't find a programmer yet for the 2012's as Dodge encrypted the PCM sofware and they haven't broken the encryption yet.

I also am considering hid and led lights and a lockpick for the navigation system. Any experience with these items?

HID's are nice but make sure you get a quality kit that is designed for the Dodge truck otherwise you are gonna have functionality problems. When you say "led lights" are you referring to tail lights, 3rd brakelight, etc??? The lockpick works great for hacking a nav system to change destinations while moving.

I saw on the Mopar website that there was an option to get a kicker subwoofer for the 2011 trucks. Has anyone ever upgraded the subwoofer and is the kicker subwoofer available for the 2012ís?

I upgraded to the Kicker products for my Ram and it was a waste of money. Even the so-called "Premium" systems licensed by Dodge suck. You are better off going aftermarket with a new amp and quality sub.

I am also considering an extended warranty. I donít know much about these hemi engines or transmissions. Would an extended warranty be a good idea?

I got one for my Ram and my SRT. The one on the Ram has paid off, big time. I had a $2100 repair which cost me $100. I had a $900 repair which cost me $100. So basically, I had a total of $3000 in repairs done for $200 and I only paid $1200 for the warranty. It's the Maximum Care warranty from Chrysler Service Contracts.

I am sure I will have many more questions and I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks

Toby

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new truck!

tobyjohnson11 11-08-2011 06:55 PM

Thanks MADDOG for the info. Yes I would like LED's for the reverse lights, tail lights, etc.. I don't plan on getting any LED's for the interior just the exterior.

I am surprised that the Kicker speakers were a bust. I have used Kicker subwoofers numerous times over the years and had good results. I may try to get an second subwoofer installed under the back driver side seat and just add another amp for that sub.

Thanks Again for all the replies. I will post pictures once I get the truck in.

erm 11-11-2011 11:04 AM

I've had really good luck with the LED bulbs I've gotten from autolumination.com and another good supplier is superbrightleds.com

There are a lot of LED tail lights out there so remember, ya get what ya pay for. Here's a sample list of what I've found so far:

Brand/Make/Model Source Cost
GoRecon 264179BK gorecon.com $299.95
LED Reverse 264213WH gorecon.com $29.90
Hella 10255801 with CHMSL Amazon.com $300.95
LED tails & LED CHMSL Streetsideauto.com $309.00
buyautotruckaccessories.com $240.00

GoRecon 264179BK with LED reverse bulb
Amazon.com/Truck & Winch $261.50
DashZ TL-RAM06-LED-JM-YS dashzracing.com $209.00
black smoked LED's with 90 day warranty, need LED backup bulbs

The Kicker Mopar Accessory speakers are a very low end Kicker speaker. They put out about 45W RMS @ 4 ohms and really don't have that good of sonic performance. Of course, I am used to a higher end speaker so maybe that's the problem with them. :D

Looking forward to the pictures!

tobyjohnson11 11-28-2011 11:37 PM

OK so the truck is here and it’s awesome. I think I am really going to like it. The weather here has been crappy for the past two days so I haven’t got any pics yet, but they are coming!!!!!

So far I love most everything about the truck more than I thought I would. Here are a few things I don't love though.

1. I did not receive an owner’s manual or a navigation manual... I did receive a user’s guide which is nice and helpful as a "quick start guide" but I would like to have a owner’s manual and one of the nav system. The nav is a 730 system and I really like it and I am pretty sure I can figure out how to work it, but a manual would be very nice.
2. I can’t get any photos to load from my usb drive. I have tried three of them and still can’t get the usb to be accessible under the my pictures section.
3. I don’t understand why the programmed seats do not move when I hit the unlock button on the key fob. I attempted to program the fob as instructed in the "quick start guide" but can’t tell if it did anything.
3. Do the rear seats fold down? I can lift them up to get under the seat but do they fold back where I can get behind the seats?

Overall I am very happy with the truck and can’t wait to get out there and see how good of mileage I can get with the 3.21 ratio.

Pics coming soon!!!!

tobyjohnson11 11-29-2011 07:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pics guys. The truck is a little dirty form driving in the rain.

Old Dodger 11-29-2011 09:30 PM

Purrrrrty! You have to love that interior! Don't expect a lot from the cruise for milage. I find I can do much better without in the hills. Really a nice truck!