DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Axle U-joints & wheel bearing (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=96140)

jj1969 11-09-2011 12:25 PM

Axle U-joints & wheel bearing

Iím getting a clicking noise in the front end when turning sharp at low speeds. Assume my axle U-joints are going bad. Figured Iíd replace them, and while Iím at it, doing the wheel bearings.
Called the dealership yesterday just to get a price (and laugh out loud) for the hub/bearing assembly. Guy was quite difficult to understand, but said there were 2 different wheel bearings and it depended on my VIN as to which one I would need. $490 for one and $450 for the other.
Now. I really wasnít thinking of getting the bearing assembly from the dealer. Not convinced theyíre the greatest choice, and certainly not for that kind of money. But now Iím a little hesitant because both parts stores I called donít seem to know anything about the two different assemblies depending on my VIN.
ALSOÖ
On the axle U-joints. Whatís a good one to go with?

Thanks.
P.S. Any tips for doing this job would be greatly appreciated.

Stangshcky12 11-09-2011 01:07 PM

Spicer u-joints are the best you can go with IMO
My girlfriend just had hers done a few months ago since we are at school and I don't have anywhere to do it, the clicking was from the drivers side but the passenger side was actually worse.

jj1969 11-09-2011 01:55 PM

Where do you get the Spicers? I called my local distributor (got their # from Spicers web site). The guy told me that he couldn't look up the u-joint for me, but if I gave him the part # he'd probably have it. I don't know what the part # is????

carterruss 11-09-2011 08:23 PM

I am not sure about the U-Joint but I don't think wheel bearings are that much, maybe that is the price with install? I know when I did a bearing on my old car it was like $30 for the actual bearing and $200 to have someone put it in

dfskinner 11-18-2011 01:34 PM

Wheel Bearing is about $100 (without ABS) and approx $150 (with ABS), depending on where you purchase..... Advanced Auto seemed to have the best price.....

I have a question about doing the passanger side....

2004 Dodge Ram 4X4 5.7 L V8 Quad Cab.....

I'm using the auto hobby shop on base, removed all the parts down to the nut holding the axle in the wheel bearing, but can't get the axle to slide off the drive shaft off the spline coming from the transaxle... not stuck in the wheel bearing, just can't get it off the transaxle... slides out to what seems about 2 inches.....

Any advice from the members of the forum..... paid way too much to have the driver's side done about 6 mths ago and now I need to do the passanger side..... thought I'd do it myself, just need some advice on how to remove the axle... thanks