DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   intake manifold question? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=96186)

ramer48 11-09-2011 09:40 PM

intake manifold question?

this may be a weird or dumb question, but is there any way to make the manifold from an 04 ram flow/fit 09+ heads?

moparornocar72 11-09-2011 10:05 PM

no, not that i am aware of, it's a different port shape.

CdnoilRAM 11-09-2011 10:08 PM

you would have to modify the intake manifold, and it would be very time consuming and labor intensive. I can PM you a link where a local buddy of mine made his '06 magnum R/T intake manifold fit a new set of eagle heads, but it was a very long job, but 100% worth it since both he and I did a bunch of imperical testing on it regarding the actual flow rates, not just fluid bench flow rates.

I know he is planning on swapping to a new engine this winter, I could ask if he'd be willing to part with it, but honestly it's doubtful since he's a pack rat and his basement has more car parts than the summit racing warehouse.

If you are doing the eagle head swap, it would be cheaper, and more practical to pick up a used LX 5.7L eagle intake manifold, they are very cheap, I know of two for sale right now for $125-175; I would also go with the 6.1L intake manifold since both would require the timing cover swap.

ramer48 11-09-2011 10:17 PM

the main reason i want to reuse my manifold is so i have more options for cai's like the vararam which they dont make for the new rams =/

CdnoilRAM 11-09-2011 10:18 PM

Scratch that, his swap was an '09 manifold to pre-eagle heads. The D-shaped ports on the pre-eagle manifold will cover over the square ports on the eagle heads, just be aware that you will create a lot of turbulence in the air flow due to the sudden expansion of air as it passes between the manifold to the heads, this will decrease the flow velocity, which you will really want to maintain. You may lose some power due to this, and IMHO it would still be worth picking up an '09 R/T manifold.

ramer48 11-09-2011 10:22 PM

okay, that idea is definitely out then lol thank you very much

CdnoilRAM 11-09-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramer48 (Post 652961)
the main reason i want to reuse my manifold is so i have more options for cai's like the vararam which they dont make for the new rams =/

If you swap to the LX manifolds, then you have SO many more options that are better than the vararam, however, if you are absolutely set on getting the vararam, then you will be able to bolt the intake right to the heads, but like I said, there will be a loss in flow velocity due to the sudden expansion.

ramer48 11-09-2011 10:34 PM

i don't want to loose flow velocity, however i do want the vararam for the look, maybe i can fab something lol

i want power with looks lol

TheSatinPumpkin 11-10-2011 07:12 AM

......................................post deleted due to being unrelated.

moparornocar72 11-11-2011 02:22 PM

^it happens, but i would just stick with the stock manifold unless u cam or boost it.