DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Loud Fan Noise When Engine Cold (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=96667)

Krpto1973 11-16-2011 10:17 PM

Loud Fan Noise When Engine Cold

Guys, just a quick question I have been meaning to post for a long time.

When I start up my truck on a cold morning, whether I let the engine warm up first or not, the engine makes a loud fan noise that gets louder as the engine RPMs increase, like the fan clutch, if there is one, that is not releaseing. It only does this on cold mornings, and only for a mile or two.

Is this normal, and if so, what exactly is the purpose.

Oh, and its a 2011 2500 Hemi.

Thanks

united316 11-16-2011 10:24 PM

Mine did that right before my fan clutch went out and stuck on all the time. Made my truck sound like a Jet was taking off..

Krpto1973 11-17-2011 11:24 AM

Yeah, thats exactly what it sounds like. I had that problem in a Chevy once too and the fan clutch out and had to be replaced. BUt this truck has been doing it since I got it (on cold mornings), so I thought it was just intentional. I have been in Florida in the warmth for the last 7-8 months, so it wasn't doing it. I just came north were its cold in the morning, and now its back.

nfllover911 11-17-2011 01:59 PM

This happens to me as well I am pretty sure its normal though.

Turbovsix 11-17-2011 02:04 PM

I posted a similar question about the fan clutch on the boards a while back and I was told it was normal. But, in my lifetime, I've never had a fan clutch engage when the engine was cold right at startup, unless it was bad And you're right, it only does it on cold mornings. Seems that the behavior is the opposite of what you'd expect, right?

Mine seems to unlock after less than a mile of driving and then it operates normally as far as I can tell.

Anybody have some insight into this? Just doesn't make sense to me either.

Krpto1973 11-17-2011 03:01 PM

Yep, that seems exactly like my issue. I would love it if someone could tell me exactly what is going on so I can quit worring about it everytimr it happens, or get it fix if it needs it.

snrusnak 11-17-2011 03:05 PM

Why don't you try asking the dealer? I don't know a lot about mechanical fan clutches, but I do think the newer ones are somehow electronically controlled aren't they? And wouldn't you expect it to be locked at startup, low rpm, when the clutch should be locked and fan spinning (as there is no air movement through the radiator at low rpm/idling. I don't know just seems logical to me...

united316 11-17-2011 05:26 PM

when i went in my service adviser ( who was not my normal guy) told me that everything sounded fine. when I asked to talk to a tech we went out to the lot and started 3 other trucks none sounded like mine so he replaced the fan clutch and on the service sheet the tech put "sorry for the run around , but we now know what to fix when people are complaining about the noise."

Krpto1973 11-17-2011 08:47 PM

Well if the response is going to "why don't I talk to the dealer"... then what’s the purpose of this board. Maybe we should just make the board respond with automated reply’s to go talk to the dealer? I thought it was to get opinions and answers from other people that have experienced similar problems so that we can educate ourselves. Personally, I would like a little background information on what the problem might be ahead of time, so that when I do go talk to the dealer, I can speak intelligently about and don't get the run around.

united316 11-17-2011 08:57 PM

here is the thread that I had started about this and some of the feedback/answers that helped me out.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=88388