DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   A/C Compressor Leak (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=96813)

CajunDodge 11-18-2011 10:13 PM

A/C Compressor Leak

Noticed a few days ago a very strong, unusual odor any time I ran the heater/defrost/A/C. Being as the weather here can't make up its mind and goes from hot to cold in a day's time, I've been alternating between heat and A/C. All three work and once it's been running for a bit the smell goes away. Looking underneath it today I see where it looks like the compressor is leaking oil because sure enough that is the exact same smell I'm getting.

First question I have is, does anyone know if this is a known issue with the 3rd gens or just wear and tear? Anyone else having a similar problem? I've read through all the threads on the 3rd gens here and didn't see anything, but seems awful soon for this and I know with lack of regular use, the seal can dry out and start to leak but I run something at least once a day, even if only defrost. I have the MaxCare warranty but like I said, just seems soon.

Next question, am I safe in my thinking that so long as I am not running A/C/heat/defrost, in other words nothing where the compressor is cycling, that I won't be doing any damage until I can get it to the dealership, probably week after next due to work and the holiday this coming week? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!!!

- Cajun

CajunDodge 11-24-2011 04:56 PM

Well the good news is, no leaks so long as I leave everything off. Sucks trying to drive with a foggy windshield in the dark lol but hope to get it in and fixed next week.

- Cajun

GeauxHunting 11-24-2011 05:01 PM

Sorry Dana, I can't help ya! I hope you get it all fixed up soon.

CajunDodge 11-24-2011 05:08 PM

Thanks Dillon, appreciate it bud! :)

- Cajun

RansRAM 11-24-2011 06:38 PM

If the compressor is not engaging you will not do any further damage. To get defrost why not just unplug the compressor, should be a single plug. At least your defrost will work for ya.

erm 11-25-2011 02:19 AM

You can unplug the compressor from the harness, Dana, just to insure no further damage is done. Sorry to hear you are havin' trouble!

bigdaddyII 11-25-2011 10:05 AM

3 years does seem a bit soon. The compressor on my 02 is original but you can never tell with these things. The warranty is key here so you only have to deal with no a/c for a little while. Hope you get it fixed up soon.

CajunDodge 11-26-2011 12:01 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. Called the dealer yesterday and will be going in Monday. First experience with the MaxCare warranty so I hope it lives up to expectations lol!

- Cajun

CajunDodge 11-29-2011 11:41 AM

Well I ended up not unplugging the compressor since when I had the chance to look at it during the day, tough to do when it's dark on the way to work and dark on the way home lol, but there was no oil under the hood as I would expect if it were the compressor so I left that alone and figured evaporator core. Turns out that was the case, had it fixed yesterday! The Max Care warranty is worth its weight in gold and BIG props to Acadiana Dodge!!! I got there at 0715, was diagnosed by 0830. Was told book time is 5-6 hours but they already had it torn down and job was complete by 1215 as they had all the parts in stock and put their best tech on it! Very satisfied customer here, well worth the drive to get there and they will be my servicing dealership from now on! :smileup:

- Cajun

bigdaddyII 11-29-2011 09:13 PM

Glad you are all fixed back up. A/C is important even in the winter here in south LA.