DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Spark Plug Change...Now I need new coil packs.. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=96874)

20ram08 11-19-2011 07:04 PM

Spark Plug Change...Now I need new coil packs..

Today I was changing my top bank of spark plugs in my 2008 ram 1500 4.7L. It should have been an easy install, except whoever changed them last did not grease up the boot, so the boot coil ended up melting to some of the plugs. Anyway, I'm now in need of a few new rubber boots, but neither dealership nor Napa sells them separately. Does anyone know where I can find them? I do not want to pay $30 each for new coils. Another idea would be to just replace all 8 coils with a nice performance set, but I can't seem to find anybody that makes any. Thanks for your input.

lbartee 11-20-2011 01:05 PM

I had the same problem. of course this happened on a Sunday and my only choices were Autozone and Oreillys. Autozone did not have any rubber boots. They didnt even show a dual coil pack for my truck. Oreills didnt have any rubber boots as well and the only dual coil pack they had in there system was for an 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Same coil as on an 08 1500. As of Mon . I went to the dealer only to find out they did not offer just the rubber boots. Ended up getting a coil Pack. However I did manage to repair the coil pack I damaged. I took a peice of Fuel line that was about the same size and used a Dremel tool and grinding stone the same dia. of the plug. Ground out the hose took the top part of the old boot and siliconed it to the coil. It worked great. Drove it a week before I got my new coil. This is only a temparary fix. I still have it for next time. I did however lubricate the hell out of the boots before Iput them back on.

20ram08 11-23-2011 09:23 PM

I went to the Dodge dealer to find out the same thing, they even told me that they have the same problem all the time, and that NAPA sells them just the rubber boot. So I go to NAPA only to find out that not only do they not sell just the boot, but they have never delivered to that dealership before. I had to buy a new coil pack too. I also found out today that I was sold the wrong plugs...good thing I checked before firing it up. I looked up my truck at rockauto and they told me that the Bosch Platinum Iridium fusion 4508 works for my truck, however, it only works for the 06 07 model, not 08. I'm just going to back to the Champion Iridium 9055 OEM plugs. What a waste of time, it took me 2 hours to get those plugs in the truck only to find out I have to take them out and put another plug in.

lbartee 11-24-2011 05:05 AM

OEM part # Upper plugs Bosch FR8TE2 Copper core around 5.00 ea. Lower plugs Bosch FR8t1332 Iridium Core around 10.00 ea. Oreilly's and Dodge can order them. Hope this helps.

20ram08 11-27-2011 08:59 PM

Yes thank you, I ended up just going to the dealer and getting those copper plugs at 4.99 each. They don't recommend putting Iridiums in the top bank because they designed the engine to run at a specific heat range, and coppers burn hotter...or so I was told. Looks like I'll be changing them again in 30k miles.

Bigghorn 06-08-2012 10:58 PM

I have to change the top plugs now, truck is an 08 4.7 16 plug motor. Had the top plugs changed at 30K by dealer, they destroyed 2 coils. I have to replace a coil due to a misfire P0303 misfire cylinder 3. Is there more than 1 bolt holding on the air resonator? The rest I am pretty familiar with, I think thanks for any tips on removing it. I ground down a socket to fit in the plug hole, seems to work well, any one know where to purchase the correct tool other than the dealer for 80 bucks.

ArmyofOne 06-09-2012 12:26 PM

I got my coil puller from harbor freight for like $10. LOL

4pnt7 06-12-2012 11:51 PM

I have 100,000 on my truck. Wanted to install some NGK plugs. Anyone know the part numbers. I want to go a step cooler on top and bottom.

snrusnak 06-15-2012 10:09 AM

Nicolas, I'm not sure if you're aware but the 4.7L uses different plugs top and bottom. Bottom are iridiums and tops are nickel yttrium. I believe they are both bosch.

Here are the part numbers and prices(just got a quote from mopar parts).

SPARKPLUG [Part# SPFR8TE2AA]
List Price:$5.10
Your Price:$3.51 x8

SPARKPLUG [Part# SPFR8TI332]
List Price:$8.95
Your Price:$6.15 x8

Prices are each plus shipping of approx 13.xx within continental US

I'm also looking for a colder plug top and bottom, if you find them let me know, as I came up empty handed. I've been wondering if there would be any benefit(or if it'd hurt) by switching the top plug to iridium.

The coils are batch fire(fire both plugs at the same time). Some claim that the difference in plug material causes a delayed spark to one of the plugs, so the spark occurs at different times, and this is for performance. I don't know if that's true or not so not sure if changing the top plug to the same material as the bottom would have a good or bad effect, or no effect.

Manual says to replace uppers at ~50,000 miles and lowers at ~100,000 miles.

4pnt7 06-15-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 821496)
Nicolas, I'm not sure if you're aware but the 4.7L uses different plugs top and bottom. Bottom are iridiums and tops are nickel yttrium. I believe they are both bosch.

Here are the part numbers and prices(just got a quote from mopar parts).

SPARKPLUG [Part# SPFR8TE2AA]
List Price:$5.10
Your Price:$3.51 x8

SPARKPLUG [Part# SPFR8TI332]
List Price:$8.95
Your Price:$6.15 x8

Prices are each plus shipping of approx 13.xx within continental US

I'm also looking for a colder plug top and bottom, if you find them let me know, as I came up empty handed. I've been wondering if there would be any benefit(or if it'd hurt) by switching the top plug to iridium.

The coils are batch fire(fire both plugs at the same time). Some claim that the difference in plug material causes a delayed spark to one of the plugs, so the spark occurs at different times, and this is for performance. I don't know if that's true or not so not sure if changing the top plug to the same material as the bottom would have a good or bad effect, or no effect.

Manual says to replace uppers at ~50,000 miles and lowers at ~100,000 miles.

Thanks, ill keep looking around but im in no hurry.

I wonder why the guys that have 03-07 4.7l with ngc just put the 08 motor in. all sensors match up as far as I've seen. Use adapter plates for throttle body. I don't know, just seems like that's what I would of done.. Sct tuners would really help this motor out.