DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Blind Spot Mirrors (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=96889)

LunaTuna 11-19-2011 10:52 PM

Blind Spot Mirrors

Has anybody found any good blind spot mirrors? The ones in the auto stores around here look kinda cheap.

Hedghawg71 11-19-2011 11:34 PM

I just bought the 1.5 inch round ones Form Oreilly Auto parts and they look fine to me.

Excoastie 11-20-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedghawg71 (Post 658391)
I just bought the 1.5 inch round ones Form Oreilly Auto parts and they look fine to me.

me too. I haven't had any issues with mine

Exco

hammer horn 11-20-2011 05:09 PM

got 1 1/2s too, love em

biggin152 11-20-2011 07:52 PM

I got the rectangle ones, like them a little better than the round ones. Not as distorted and can see right beside you a little better. Personal preference. One did fall off when it was 116F, but they are cheap.

TNC 11-20-2011 11:02 PM

Same as most here have already stated. I have used both the rectangular and round ones from Pep Boys. Yeah, they're cheap, but they seem to work fine. We get some fairly extreme temps here, and I've only had one to come loose in about 25 years, and two of those vehicles were kept for about 20 years each. I find that kind of amazing for something so cheap. I think proper cleaning of the surface is probably the only critical thing before sticking them on. I wouldn't think a much higher optical quality would do that much to improve visibility. Even the cheap ones do a more than adequate job of allowing you to see a hazard in the blind spots.

GenoTex 11-21-2011 01:29 AM

truth is... no one needs 'blind spot' mirrors... you only need to know HOW to adjust your mirrors properly...

Most people look into their outside mirrors and align them so they can 'just barely' see the side of their car/truck. Not correct.

What you should do is place your head on the glass of your driver-side window and then adjust the driver side mirror to 'just barely' see the side of your car truck... then for the passenger side, place your head over the center console (or center) of your truck and then align the passenger mirror to 'just barely' see the side of your truck.
THEN realize that the 'windshield mounted' mirror is your primary 'rear-vew' mirror. As you drive, you will now see that what is shown in the inside rearview mirror is what is directly behind you ... and that when vehicles begin to go 'off the side' of the primary (windshield) mirror, they show up in each of your outside mirrors. As they approach the 'going-out-of-sight' on the sideviews you can see the vehicle(s) directly outside your windows. You never have to 'look behind/over your shoulder' again :)

It takes a VERY short time to get adjusted to this mindset... and it's the manner taught/used by professional drivers. Try it. You'll like it.

Why look at the same thing in three mirrors? Think about it.

GTyankee 11-21-2011 02:06 AM

If you really want blind spot mirrors, stop in a truck stop & see what they have
good product at a reasonable price

I have a CDL as some others in here do
I set my exterior mirrors so that i see my trucks bed side just the slightest bit
sometimes a spot mirror would help, sometimes not
Mostly it is vehicles changing lanes when they are almost besides you, that you can't see

You should read this article & ALL the comments & then make a decision
http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/

I formed my driving style by a novel, Travis McGee Florida Detectives friend MEYER's way of driving
Looking thru the windshield for so many seconds, look thru the rear view mirror for a quick second, then the right side outer mirror for about the same time, back to the windshield & then to the left side mirror, then back to the windshield for a several seconds & start thru it all again
The only thing that you can't see is a vehicle changing lanes when almost besides you
The only accidents that i have been in were people hitting my back bumper in metropolitan traffic & once when a guy left his pickup tailgate down & braked enough to keep from hitting him, but i had not seen his dropped tailgate, i barely dented it & he said that it was his fault for having the tailgate down on a major highway. trying to save gas i would bet

I have been legally driving since 1959, i think i have a pretty good accident record

mriboy 11-21-2011 02:08 AM

What you should do is place your head on the glass of your driver-side window and then adjust the driver side mirror to 'just barely' see the side of your car truck... then for the passenger side, place your head over the center console (or center) of your truck and then align the passenger mirror to 'just barely' see the side of your truck.

Did this and works great no more blind spot.

GenoTex 11-21-2011 12:33 PM

GTYankee..
Mostly it is vehicles changing lanes when they are almost besides you, that you can't see...

and there again... proper adjustment will eliminate that problem totally.

thanks for trying and endorsing MRIBOY