DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   winter morning startup engine belt slippage (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=96989)

crusher 11-21-2011 11:19 AM

winter morning startup engine belt slippage

When i start my truck in the winter in the morning, the engine belt slips and makes lots off noise wich a old car should do not a 50 000$ truck,...

i started to do it last winter and now it will mostlikly start to do it again when the temps is gona go down

before the slippage started i could hear a noise coming from the engine bay when cold like if something wasent working proprely like the powersteering or rad fan,..

any off u had this problem

dodge whants me to leave the truck overnight for the second time this winter to fix it, first time they didnt find what was causing this

so if any of u had the same problem i could point them in the right direction

AlbertaBound 11-23-2011 03:17 PM

Hey, I have been getting some squeals and squeaks coming from under the hood since its been below 0 consistently. Its being inspected right now while they take off the leveling kit and fix everything that it damaged.

Does the sound go away for you after the engine is warm?

crusher 11-23-2011 03:48 PM

the sound from the belt does go away when the engine is warm but there is something a pulley im guessing (probably the engine fan clutch or power stering pump)that makes a very quiete noise always when its cold outside

been to the dealer again, they let the truck sit inside for the night and told me the belt didnt slip when start in the morning,...... idiots... i specificly told them that it needed to be cold,... to be outside....

so i have to bring it back so other time

let me know if they find anything on yours

what happened with your levening kit??

AlbertaBound 11-23-2011 04:24 PM

What a bunch of tools. I wish there was some kind of real quality control at dealerships. The leveling kit caused the truck to shudder in 4x4. Although Dodge has released a service bulletin saying "All Dodge rams will shudder and shake in 4x4". From the research I have done it appears dodge couldnt figure out what was wrong with 4x4 so they just said all of them will do it (leveled or not). Mine didnt before so I am removing it. It also blew a ball joint in the upper control arm (a few days later) but that could have been on its last leg. Nice thing is you cant just do the ball joint on this ram it has to be the entire upper control arm (yay!). The Dodge dealership here said they have had a few people blow front difs from the leveling kits after only 5,000-10,000 km. Its mainly the quad cabs that have this issue and not crew cabs. Mopar no longer sells its leveling kit.

Seems like dodge focused too much on the body and interior than the actual parts of the truck. To be honest after reading the thread about driveshafts falling off on new rams Im going to cross my fingers, try to get 10,000km more out of this truck without killing myself and sell it.

Ill let you know what they say about the belt. I have no trust in the dealership here from past experiences so I am getting a mechanics shop to look at it instead. I should be getting it back soon.

crusher 11-23-2011 04:57 PM

okay good luck

for myself ill be wainting a few weeks, when it will cold everyday and ill bring the truck in(well outside,... lol) for the 3rd time

my hemi 11-24-2011 03:33 PM

when i star my truck in the morning since it been cold its sound like a valve is clicking and then it stop 3500km

CajunDodge 11-24-2011 03:39 PM

Sounds odd for such a new truck but at times when it actually does get cold here, I will get a pulley squeak as well. Chances are, if it goes away when the engine warms up and doesn't do it in warm weather, the grease that is inside the pulley bearings is just cold and needs to work itself around but once it does the noise should stop, it does for me anyway. I would be concerned, though, if your belt is actually slipping.

- Cajun