DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Bilstein Shocks! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=97087)

u05006 11-22-2011 04:40 PM

Bilstein Shocks!

i have read alot about these shocks & i think i'm going to make the purchase.
i have a couple of questions:

1. is the best place to get them in Canada Essex Distributors?

2. Should I install them myself? if so anyone have an idea how long it takes?

3.Has anyone installed them & have any tips for me?

i am going with the 5100 adjustable ones im getting all 4!!

really cant wait!!

:smileup:

gysnst2 11-22-2011 05:06 PM

If you plan on buying 4 the rears are not adjustable. I suggest that you take a look at top gun customs web site. They have a good kit which comes with new rear progressive springs that are 2 inches taller. The total is 599. 4 shocks and 2 rear springs. I feel it one of the best level lift kits on the market.

Lonestar4x4 11-22-2011 08:13 PM

gysnst2 - I was looking at the Top Gunz package too and I was curious, if the rear is lifted 2" and the front is lifted 2.7" wouldn't you still have almost the same tail high stance that a level kit is trying to eliminate? I haven't emailed Top Gunz yet but maybe I'm missing something? Has anyone installed this kit?

u05006 11-22-2011 08:46 PM

im not looking to raise the back, im looking to level the truck.
i thought of another question.
I have 22" rims on there now but i want change them to an 18" rim does anyone have any suggestions on tire size? the 22" rims are too much for when i pull a 30ft trailer i need more tire less rim.
Im also looking for an aggressive tire but one that one that wont be noisy going down the road. i was looking at the toyo MT what do you think?

barn 11-22-2011 10:19 PM

my buddy had the toyo open countries in the mt they are very aggressive very nice tire but being a mud tire after about 10k miles they do get a little whiny.. but nothing as bad as a buckshot or mud grapplers those things are horridly loud and rough.. but my numero uno is the mickey thompson mtz radials ran those on my 2500hd were incredible but they wear easy for they are very soft! it was love at first ride for me and mickey..

rockdoc 11-22-2011 10:29 PM

Bilstein shocks

Cannot say enough of how impressed I am with these 5100s'. They have totally transformed the ride, stance, stability of my truck. I am on bush roads most of the time in my job and was getting so frustrated with the wimpy ride and dampening of this vehicle that I was one step away from actually switching to a Ford Raptor. {Having the dealer appraisal done and the deal set, once the truck arrived.}
On advice from the Forum I ordered my shocks from gord@essexdistributors.com and am absolutely amazed that a such simple change would transform the vehicle as dramatically as these shocks have. CANCELLED MY RAPTOR.... Essex were incredibly thorough on processing, shipping and tracking my order for me. A distinct pleasure these days. I got the lift I wanted the ride, as stated, is excellent and you can even adjust to "factory" TRX height right up to my "max" lift with no spacers or extra stuff required. The way I look at is for $400 I got a leveling/lift kit PLUS the best shocks on the market for this application. DO IT!

u05006 11-23-2011 09:43 AM

Rockdoc, did you have them installed if so how much did it cost if you dont mind me asking?

your post got me excited really want these shock. Now the hard part getting my wife to agree LOL. The budgeter

u05006 11-23-2011 01:12 PM

im being quoted 2-4 hr for install does this sound right to yo guys? $90 per hr. sounds really high, am i right?

Pull Ya 11-23-2011 01:31 PM

I think a dealer would charge you about 2--2 1/2 hours to install two new front shocks.
Jay

u05006 11-23-2011 06:40 PM

has anyone installed these them self?