DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   dents (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=97205)

moparmann 11-24-2011 11:51 AM

dents

Anyone else notice how easy these things dent? The sheet metal seems super thin :(

erm 11-24-2011 11:56 AM

Yup..that's what makes them so light and fuel efficient. :D

CajunDodge 11-24-2011 11:57 AM

Sadly no, you're not the only one who noticed it and this is just one thread I found: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....ght=thin+metal.

- Cajun

moparmann 11-24-2011 12:44 PM

I would like to know what gauge metal these body panels are. My wifes 2010 Accord seems alot thicker, my 99 Dakota seemed thicker as well, all other things being equal, ie body lines

GTyankee 11-24-2011 01:07 PM

Sadly the sheet metal is getting thinner
More plastics are being used, which is good thing in the trucks cab, ie: lightning strikes
Spare tire rubber is thinner & barely usable
Rear differentials starting in 2011 are 40 pounds lighter
Vehicle jack is flimsy

In a year or 2 i expect to see no spare tire at all, just a plug & patch kit with a small plastic air compressor

Everything is being done to get better required fuel mileage

TNC 11-24-2011 09:24 PM

Dodge isn't alone in using thinner sheet metal. Just about every manufacturer does. That thinner metal, plastic, and other material changes are one of the elements responsible for better mileage and performance. I just stepped out of a 22 year old full size Jimmy 4X4, and the body sheet metal was some real meat. I got a decent dent in the rear panel behind the rear wheel awhile back while 4-wheeling, and the body shop guy was able to beat the dent out and repaint without any bondo or other filler. He was able to work that existing panel with perfection. He said he can't do that with hardly any of the later model vehicles. The downside...my Jimmy is a boat anchor...LOL!

brad12kx 11-24-2011 10:03 PM

This is an age old complaint. In 1990, they talked about how it's almost impossible to hammer out the dents because the sheet metal is soo thin, not like it was in the 70's. In 1970, the same thing, but they compared to the 50's. In the 50's, they complained the sheet metal was getting too thin..... "I remember straightening nails in the fender of my Model T."

do you know anyone today that would even consider straightening a nail on the fender of their Model T. :wow:

OK....it's for a different reason. LOL

But the story repeats, and in 20 years, they will be talking about how good the sheet metal was on the 4th Generation Rams. :smileup:

myfoot 11-24-2011 10:19 PM

I've got a quarter sized dimple on the hood on my truck from an acorn..... happened when only two months old. I have another shallow dent from pushing the hood closed. I can park far away from the idots at the mall, I can't do anything about mother nature dropping stuff from the sky, the metal is soo thin if I look at it wrong it starts to warp.
My old truck had thicker sheet metal and little power, the new truck has thin sheet metal
but man that HEMI sure can scream!

TNC 11-24-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad12kx (Post 661202)
This is an age old complaint. In 1990, they talked about how it's almost impossible to hammer out the dents because the sheet metal is soo thin, not like it was in the 70's. In 1970, the same thing, but they compared to the 50's. In the 50's, they complained the sheet metal was getting too thin..... "I remember straightening nails in the fender of my Model T."

do you know anyone today that would even consider straightening a nail on the fender of their Model T. :wow:

OK....it's for a different reason. LOL

But the story repeats, and in 20 years, they will be talking about how good the sheet metal was on the 4th Generation Rams. :smileup:

Now hold on there!...what are you saying? Is this like how I used to walk 10 miles to school...uphill both ways...in the snow...barefooted?:gr_grin:

moparmann 11-25-2011 04:28 PM

flimsy

I would agree 100%, making vehicles lighter for better fuel economy, right up to the point where durability suffers. Dodge seems to have found that point.