DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Newbie Checkin! (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   I'm a bit unsure (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=97525)

Fu11M00n 11-28-2011 09:27 PM

I'm a bit unsure

So, I am looking to buy a newer Dodge Ramm 2500 4x4. I am wondering if there is ANY advantage to having the HEMI over the Cummins?? Obviously I am on a budget like most of you. So is there a way to get better mpg out of Hemi to at least be close to mpg the Cummins gets? Are there any aftermarket programmers for the Hemi to help with Towing capability?? Thanks for any help you may have to offer

Rutger34 11-28-2011 09:51 PM

My two bits as a Service Manager.

DO NOT buy a Cummins unless you really intend on working it VERY hard all the time. It is an engine that is designed to be worked. We have many trucks come in all coked up with carbon and the drivers swear that they work their trucks. When we scan the trucks, it shows that the truck has been used 30-40% of the time at less that 50% throttle. It shows that even people who think that they are using their trucks are really idling and driving at city speeds. When the Cummins gets coked up, it is not considered a warranty issue and the cleaning of the carbon can get very costly, like thousands costly.

If you are looking at towing some of the time and still need a truck, a gas engine is the much better way to go nowadays in my opinion.

Stangshcky12 11-28-2011 10:03 PM

^ this problem is with the 07 to present trucks
Fuel mileage will also depend on what year you go with. 07- present don't get very good fuel mileage and with the extra cost of diesel fuel they break even with the hemi in terms of mpg.
A big advantage of the hemi over cummins is the cost of maintenance. In the long run, even with 12-14 mpg the hemi will save you money

brad12kx 11-29-2011 02:49 AM

Welcome to the forum, :Hey:
This forum is full of great looking trucks; packed with great mod ideas and there are loads of knowledgeable and experienced people here.

:iagree: with Rutger34. The Cummins NEEDS to be worked, and worked hard, or it will kill you in maintenance in the long run. If you are regularly pulling trailers up to 5000Lb, the Hemi is all you need. If your pulling 8000Lbs plus all the time, the Cummins is the way to go.....better if you always pull the trailer up hill. :)

You will never get the Hemi to meet/exceed the Cummins in Loaded MPG, but the cost saving of the Hemi and reduced maintenance cost will far offset this additional fuel cost.

Also, if you want to idle it a lot, stay away from the Cummins. Times have changed, and the gas engine can handle idling much better then the diesel....although it is not good for either one; and not necessary. Idling more than 3 minutes is strictly for the comfort of the human.

Enjoy the Z!

BlueJet 11-29-2011 08:02 AM

Hello and welcome! :wavey:

Good to have you with us, I hope you enjoy the board!

CajunDodge 11-29-2011 10:32 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum glad to have you join us! I will third what has already been said, you almost have to NEED a diesel to make it worth it. With the HEMI, there are several mods you can do for better fuel mileage but as has been said, probably not going to equal that of the diesel. Much as I would love to have a diesel myself, I have no need for one but good luck and be sure to keep us posted! Lots of great people and info here, so any help you need, just ask and I hope you enjoy the site! :Hey:

- Cajun

old hot rod 11-29-2011 07:13 PM

Welcome to Forum Z
Great to have you with us!!!
Dont forget to post pics of your ride.