DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Magnaflow vs flowmaster (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=97679)

rmrhodes88 11-30-2011 01:36 PM

Magnaflow vs flowmaster

Looking at replacing my stock muffler in the next few days. I have always ran magnaflow on GM products but when listening to youtube I wasnt impressed. The flow master 40's sound good on the audio clips. I know if comes down to perference but who do you guys/gals reccomend on a 5.7 2012 4x4?

I want something beefy that sounds good at and idle but still says "HEY IM A HEMI" when you punch it.

I am only doing muffler, leaving everything else stock, but adding a K&N CAI. Going to a diablo programmer when I can find one.

GhostR1der 11-30-2011 06:32 PM

There is a huge thread on this same question. The result of most people is magnaflow. I personally went with the 14 inch magnaflow. It is not loud at all at idle but when you give it throttle it wakes up. If you are used to flowmaster and like the sound then I would suggest going back to them. Either the 40 or super 44. At first I was disappointed with my magnaflow but it's growing on me. I came from a mustamg GT with single chamber flowmasters.

dmac101 11-30-2011 06:36 PM

they both would be great my father has always ran magna flow ad always sounds great, but i have also heard the flow master 4o series they sounds great to. so like u said its personal preference. I've always been a fan of magna flow but thats just me

BigHornBob 11-30-2011 08:34 PM

Just took the stock off my 2012 Ram Quad 5.7 and replaced with a Flowmaster 40 (left all the resonators). Muffler shop did the swap, welded in, including the muffler. Best $200 bucks I have spent in a long time. The flow master sounds awesome. Throaty and when you get on it, everyone knows but not obnoxious. If you want it a little louder and have a little crackle to it, you can remove the resonators but even with only a few hundred miles on mine, I think its plenty loud.

rmrhodes88 12-01-2011 10:50 AM

bighornbob: what about when it drops cylinders how does it sound, and in cabin noise. Im not going obnoxious but I want the Fords and Chevys to know Im comming.

BigHornBob 12-01-2011 08:26 PM

Sounds like a 4 cylinder on steroids. Honestly, it sounds just like a few plugs are misfiring and pretty much sounds like crap. Obviously the exhaust exaggerates the poor sound but radio up and all is good. If I don't want to here it, I just hit the tow/haul button and MDS disarmed.

In cabin noise is a nice rumble until you step on it. I equate it to a nice classy new vet or stang sound. Hardly noticeable when cruising but you step on it they will hear you for sue. Again, I only have about 500 miles on the truck so I'm guessing its gonna get a bit louder as it breaks in.

GhostR1der 12-01-2011 09:05 PM

That's why I went with magnaflow. Very little noise change when in MDS.

lightfighter 12-02-2011 04:35 AM

I got the Mufflex Magnaflow........ sounds good...... when the cylinders drop out it sounds crappy but its not as bad as a 4 cly with a fartpipe on the back

2011lilred 12-02-2011 07:34 AM

I've run Flowmasters on many cars and trucks in the past, but I recently did a ton of research on this for both my Hemi and my Camaro. Short answer is if you are after performance, the Magnaflow is the way to go - and still sounds decent. If you are interested in the sound first and performance second, the Flowmaster sound is classic!

chefred112 12-08-2011 12:28 AM

I've run Flow 50s and then Magnaflows...the mags perform so much better and sounds better too...again personal preference when it comes to sound, but I wanted performance and the Flows don't hold a candle to the mag in regards to the hemi rams..