DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Rear seat headrests (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=97734)

TerrysRam 11-30-2011 11:32 PM

Rear seat headrests

Does anyone else have problems backing out of a parking spot or the like and have the darn rear seat headrests block their view?
Maybe it's just me but I'm debating removing them. The only people who ride in my backseat are my kids and I noticed today that their heads don't quite reach the headrest yet so they should be safe. Just wish they made a smaller headrest like the middle one so I could replace those monsters that block my view.
Just my rant on one of the few things I'm finding that I don't like on my Ram since I'm starting to get some miles on it.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.:doh:

FormerGorilla 12-01-2011 12:19 AM

Yep.. took the center rest out. Much better for rear view. I keep it in the truck so any potential middle-riders have the protection of the rest in case of accidents/etc.

united316 12-01-2011 12:25 AM

09s are smaller look for one at junkyard swap larger out for smaller units.

Willbrewer 12-01-2011 02:33 AM

I yanked all three rear headrests out right after I bought the truck. No plan to have passengers back there. I also reversed the front headrests. The way they lean forward hurts my neck.

EVS1 12-01-2011 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willbrewer (Post 664854)
I also reversed the front headrests. The way they lean forward hurts my neck.

Yeah, but the way they lean backwards will break your neck if you ever get hit.

joewally 12-01-2011 07:22 AM

i removed the back headrests right after i attempted to clean the inside of the back window. It was impossible for me to reach the bottom of the window behind the seat. After i removed them i backed the truck out of the driveway and i was amazed at the view. They are currently tucked away safely in the garage.

Razorbass 12-01-2011 09:27 AM

There have been some other threads on this topic. I found mine to be a horrible blind spot so I took them out. I keep them stored in the truck so that I can put them in in case I ever have passengers in the rear seat. However, that is incredibly rare. My visibility has improved tremendously with them out. Hope to locate some small one like the center to replace the other two with.

herc 12-01-2011 01:55 PM

This was one of the only things I really noticed as a negative on my truck, especially after coming from a gen II that had NO headrests back there. I don't really understand complaints about the middle one, but the sides are joke-sized, and from my perspective cause dangerous rear-vision issues.

For me, just removing the passenger side one did the trick, and there's plenty of room for it with a bunch of other stuff under driver's side rear seat (sub under the other one). Like the OP, my younger kid's head doesn't yet come up to the top of the seat. And, there's always the driver's side for someone taller. Worst case is that I have to spend about 30 seconds to pop it back in.

articcatbill 12-01-2011 04:03 PM

Did you ever read in your owners manual that only an authorized service rep is to remove the rear head rests?

The head restraints should only be removed by quali- fied technicians, for service purposes only. If either of the head restraints require removal, see your autho- rized dealer.

It is on page 116, when I read it I thought it was funny. I wonder why they put that in? I read it right after I took mine out to clean the window.

Studbuster 12-01-2011 05:07 PM

Use your 2 rear seat head rest to replace your front ones. Cures two problems with one easy mod! I did this during our test drive, salesman really liked it.

Now the seats fit and you won't break your neck by turning the front ones around.