DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   EGR and DPF delete and warranty (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=97776)

Dodgeystyle 12-01-2011 03:13 PM

EGR and DPF delete and warranty

Hey guys, its been a while since I've been on here it's nice to be back. My question is I've got a 2008 3500 mega cab with the 6.7 liter and I'm hearing of a few guys getting an EGR and DPF delete done directly through Dodge and I'm just wondering if anyone knows if that is going void my powertrain warranty or not and if it is worth spending the money

erm 12-01-2011 03:18 PM

If Dodge does it then they have to warranty the work.

I think it's worth it, frankly.

06quad4x4 12-01-2011 03:57 PM

My father recently deleted his '11 3500 cummins with a smarty jr and flowpro test pipe. He went from 15mpg highway to 22.3 mpg and the truck only has 8,000 miles on it. According to most people cummins trucks will get better fuel economy once they're broken in. I say if the dealership is willing to do the deletes, go for it.

Dodgeystyle 12-01-2011 05:48 PM

thanks guys, my truck has 12,000kms it so it is broke in and the increase in fuel mileage is one of the biggest reasons i'm looking at doing this. just a little paranoid cause it sounds to good be true that my powertrain warranty would not be voided. just figured i'd get some other opinions

Stangshcky12 12-01-2011 10:27 PM

I don't think any dealership will do it and warranty the truck. I have heard te almost all of te dealerships who were doing warranty work on deleted motors got am earfull from Chrysler an the select few that did really have to watch them selves now.
Did a delete on our 09 45k miles ago, went from 14-15mpg to 22-24 mpg. The only thing the truck has been in the shop for since is a serpentine belt and it has 84k miles on it so only a few more months left on the 5 yr 100k mile warranty

CdnoilRAM 12-01-2011 11:28 PM

I have never heard of ANY dealership deleting the EGR or DPF, mostly because they are emissions requirements; it's actually against chrysler's rules for them to modify these systems since they're taking the vehicles out of the mandated emissions requirements.

Most performance shops will gladly do this for you, but be aware that you will be kissing part of your truck's warrany goodbye if you delete the DPF since you HAVE to modify the programming.

Dodgeystyle 12-01-2011 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 665427)
I have never heard of ANY dealership deleting the EGR or DPF, mostly because they are emissions requirements; it's actually against chrysler's rules for them to modify these systems since they're taking the vehicles out of the mandated emissions requirements.

Most performance shops will gladly do this for you, but be aware that you will be kissing part of your truck's warrany goodbye if you delete the DPF since you HAVE to modify the programming.

A friend of mine just had it done on his 08 2500 at the dodge dealer in brooks, AB and swears up and down that the only thing his powertrain warranty won't cover anymore is his EGR, cooler, and DPF but they aren't even on the truck anymore

CdnoilRAM 12-02-2011 12:30 AM

Yeah, I'd talk to the dealership in Brooks about that before you take the plunge then. You may only be able to have it serviced in Brooks, I know that places like Derrick Dodge, which is the largest modifier of Ram trucks in Alberta, won't even touch the DPF on the 6.7L. I wouldn't be surprised if the dealership in Brooks does this, but it's entierly on their own as it's not condoned by Chrysler corp and they can get in big trouble if one of these trucks end up at another dealership for warranty service.

I am very skeptical about what their warranty covers since you have to run a turbo-back system, block off the EGR and them reprogram the ECM, which can be done with the StarScan, but it's easier to use a MiniMAXX as you could make changes on your own. Any major changes to the ECM will void your drivetrain warranty, which is why you have to be careful because you can easily start tearing up tranmissions with just a tuner install due to the major increase in torque.

If you have an '08 how much warranty is left on it anyway? I entierly condone the deleting of the DPF and EGR, as well as SEVERAL other mods and you'd be amazed at the power you can squeeze out of the 6.7L compared to the 5.9L.

Dodgeystyle 12-02-2011 12:34 AM

I've got 40,000kms left on my power train warranty. I know for what my friend has told me that delete has turned it into a totally different truck

CdnoilRAM 12-02-2011 12:49 AM

Yeah, it really does, the DPF is the worst thing to happen to the diesel market since the switch to ultra-low sulphur fuel. At least we're not in the same boat as Ford and Chev, having to use urea injection, that's the thing I hate the most about my '10 SuperDuty.