DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   Rear End Noise (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=97802)

rickdaniel 12-01-2011 08:12 PM

Rear End Noise

I'm not familiar with the rear end in my truck. My symptoms were seemingly identical to a problem I had with my vette. When accelerating in a turn I experienced a loud hard knock or two or three from what I think is the differential. In the vette I changed the diff fluid and included a posi-trac additive. Problem solved. Tried it with the truck and made no change. In fact shortly after that I got a horrible loud ratcheting sound even when going straight. Truck is parked now!! Axel splines maybe? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

erm 12-01-2011 09:30 PM

My guess here is you have either a pinion gear or a ring gear problem.

rickdaniel 12-01-2011 09:56 PM

Is that something I can diagnose with a visual inspection removing the diff cover?

erm 12-01-2011 10:16 PM

Yes, you can. Look for wear, broken gear teeth and if you are gonna remove the cover, look for any wobbly bearings.

rickdaniel 12-01-2011 10:24 PM

Thanks for the advise! I'll get after it on Saturday. I have no garage (the shame) and it gets dark too early to try it after work tomorrow.

rickdaniel 12-04-2011 10:23 PM

I pulled the cover off. There is no obvious damage. However there is what seems to be a lot of metal in the casing. By a lot I mean metal powder and small flakes. I pulled the axles and the splines seem to be in good condition. I think the problem might be in the differential. It is different than other differentials I've seen before. It is like a self contained differential. Any thoughts?

Warlock III 12-04-2011 11:55 PM

Check the back of the differential. Looking at the cover to the lower right of it and see if there's a "60" in the casting on the rear indicating that it's a Dana 60.

While you're down there look on the left lower (7 o'clock or so) bolt for the ratio tag.

This way it'll be easier to explain knowing which rear you have.

rickdaniel 12-05-2011 12:03 AM

I'm convinced it is a Dana 70 (unconfirmed), because that is what is supposed to be in a 2500 w/v10 or cummins+automatic according to wikipedia and dodge.info. My ID tag is too rusted to know the GRatio. I suppose I could count teeth. If I'm not mistaken it is Ring# / Pinion #. Is that correct?

ramfam 12-06-2011 10:20 AM

You can also find axle ratio on spec sheet in glove box or under front of hood next to latch.

rickdaniel 12-06-2011 10:49 AM

Ok, here it is. Cast on the diff case is 70-2U. Ring divided by pinion = 3.54. Axle is 32 spline. I disassembled the carrier and found the side gears worn out and a clutch steel broken. I would like to rebuild this unit but now I cant find replacement parts except at high end performance shops and they are real expensive. Ideas?