DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   Rust prevention Help.... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=98012)

stonecld49 12-04-2011 08:46 PM

Rust prevention Help....

Jusst bought an 03 Ram and I noticed many that I looked @ had rust issues around rear fender wells ....any sugestions on prevention of this besides parking it in a garage and never driving it

age525 12-05-2011 10:40 AM

Krown T40 is supposed to be good at stopping and preventing rust.

08CUMMINS 01-07-2012 07:14 PM

parking the truck wont help either, I have an 08 with 27k miles and the bed sides are cut off of the truck getting repaired as we speak. this is Dodges 2nd attempt at fixing this issue. my truck has inner fender liners and always had a tonneau cover on it. Luckily it is being covered under warranty

GTyankee 01-07-2012 07:27 PM

I suggest spending some time on the rust, get rid of it if you can
Remember that any dirt or rust left on the vehicle makes for further rusting

Then i would check out EASTWOODS product line
Some people swear by POR products, like POR 15
http://www.eastwood.com/rust-solutions.html

primo spaghetti 01-07-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by age525 (Post 667623)
Krown T40 is supposed to be good at stopping and preventing rust.

in 2001, i bought a 96 ram with rust under the driver side door. no holes, just some minor blistering insdie the door and a little paint off on the underside of the door along the rocker. i treated it with a full application of Krown every fall for the 10 years I owned her, and the rust never got any worse. Krown literally stopped the rust dead in its tracks. Krown is the way to go.

BCWhite 01-11-2012 11:31 PM

I was just thinking of doing something similar to the underside of my 03 Ram. I'll be moving north soon and I know rust will follow. Is there a special process needed to coat the suspension?

SLINGBLADE 01-15-2012 09:33 PM

Used transmission fluid works as good as anything as a rust preventative,I have used it on my collection of el caminos and just put it in a spray bottle..stops rust dead. I also mix it with acetone and it works as good as pb blaster as a penetrating oil..

SLINGBLADE 01-15-2012 09:39 PM

3rd Gen Rams seem to have many rust issues, will post pics of my pass fender..removing it tonight. I have about 100,000 miles and out west we dont use salt in the winter. My 2000 Suburban with 200,000 miles on it hasnt developed any rust..both vehicles were sold in Alberta and have always resided here..also had some rear wheel well rust..had it fixed before it became a big problem.

devans 01-16-2012 06:07 PM

Hey guy's, I just bought an 02 RAM last month and noticed the same thing over both rear wheels. The cause of the problem, at least on mine is there is a brace that is spot welded to the outer skin that is supposed to help keep that area rigid. The brace is designed so that road dirt gets deposited in between it and the outer panel and that dirt holds moisture which in turn leads to rust. Dowsing it in your favorite oil is a good temporary fix and I'm not knocking it but you would be better off fixing the problem. The best way I can think of is to seal the area where the brace meets the outer skin. If you don't have rust yet then clean the area real good and use something like the POR products mentioned earlier. Follow their directions. POR is used a lot to seal and keep old gas tanks from rusting out. If it stands up to gas then road grime shouldn't be a big problem. If you already have rust like me then the best way is to completely get rid of it. I plan on cutting out the rust and welding new metal in then seal the back side with POR. But that will have to wait for this spring. For now I'll oil it to slow it down.