DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Tranny issues.please help. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=98065)

trentowens92 12-05-2011 11:55 AM

Tranny issues.please help.

ever since i bought my truck, i felt a little bit of a shutter sometimes when leaving a stop sign.i paid it little mind.last week i was driving and when accelerating in over drive it started to surge.it never messes up during shifts, but it surges in o/d.i checked the tranny fluid and it was just a little low.i topped it off and it ran ok for a couple days, then it started up again.
now it is getting worse, and it is starting to surge a little when accelerating in third,just before o/d.
i have heard maybe the torque converter, and i found a link to ehow.com on google and it showed symptoms of a bad torque converter,and they pretty much matched my problems.it also said a symptom could be loss of power, and i feel like its just not pushin the power that i feel like it should have,so this makes me feel like its another sign.
also, i heard that just needing to change fluid and filter can cause these problems.are their any suggestions?i dont mind changing the converter if i know thats the problem, but i dont have the money to get one if its not my problem.
any help is appreciated.

Gen1dak 12-05-2011 01:58 PM

Sounds more like an engine issue to me. Transmission could probably benefit from the usual servicing, but surging sounds like engine management.

Old Dodger 12-05-2011 10:58 PM

I wouild get the trans serviced, which includes a 30,000 mile adjustment. This, even if you have some other issue to deal with.

Paul89 12-10-2011 05:26 PM

I would try cleaning the TB if you haven't done so too......

trentowens92 12-15-2011 10:29 AM

i serviced tranny and it seemed to help some,as far as the little bit of a shudder i had.but it is still surging some.now its missing like crazy.a code came up 0420.the cat or o2 sensor.its a aftermarked cat and i have heard they can mess wit the rear sensor, so i got a couple sparkplug nonfoulers or whatever theyre called and i gonna try that trick and see if it fixes my issue.i have heard that the o2 sometimes can cause tranny problems(not sure how,its just here say),but if so i am only out 5bucks on these spark plug things.its alot cheaper than a new sensor,cat,or whatever else i mite need.i am gonna work on it today so we will see how it goes.

Ram Commando 12-29-2011 10:35 PM

That sounds exactly like the symptoms of my newly purchased 2001. I thought it was the lugs on the tires, but I've since purchased a new reman Mopar tranny and Turque converter. I'm not trying to scare you, but if you get a 1740 code, you could be in trouble. Mine started surging on the freeway, and then my overdrive failed, and it wouldn't shift out of 3rd. I went for the whole package to the tune of $3000.00 for the 3yr 100,000mi. warranty. 2 Weeks later it started surging again. I'll keep posted on how my next trip into the dealer goes.

Gen1dak 12-30-2011 02:52 AM

Bad rear O2 sensor will not cause engine issues. It is there to analyze front O2 sensor performance. I'd suspect a vacuum leak, most likely being the intake belly pan gasket.

trentowens92 01-03-2012 05:58 PM

well I feel smart and stupid at the same time.smart because I fixed my problem.stupid because it was way simpler than I thought.first to address the slipping...I won't actually slippin,I was just missing.very bad.I heard a trick about spraying water on the plug wires.if your wires are bad it should start missin when you spray it.well it just so happened that we did it at night and while it didn't start missing,I could actually see it arching to the head.I replaced the wires and missing stopped and I gained about .5 mpg.
next my issue with the 02 sensor.in some threads they talk about putting spark plug non foulers on the sensor will clear the code and you will be able to run high flow cats or even no cats.this trick DOES work.3 weeks now with no issues.

RAMING IT 01-13-2012 09:34 AM

Did you switch out your cap and rotor too? Its just a few bucks more but dam does it make a diffrence.

trentowens92 01-13-2012 11:06 AM

i bought plugs wires rotor and cap,all i replaced so far was wires though.we are in the process of moving and between college, work, and moving i havnt had the time to get to that yet.