DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Need Input/Suggestions for Exhaust Mod (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=98312)

mlfdk9 12-08-2011 11:03 AM

Need Input/Suggestions for Exhaust Mod

I bought a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad SLT (4.7L V8 Flex) this past July. I was looking to install a performance cat-back exhaust kit. Currently my truck has the passenger side (behind the rear wheel) exhaust exit. I was looking to upgrade to the MagnaFlow #16867. However, someone recommended looking into the FlowMaster #817490. However the FlowMaster has dual side exit pipes. Is there any positive or negative results from going from a single exhaust to dual exhaust (such as increases or decreases in MPG or HP?)

I would appreciate any input, suggestions, etc.
Thanks

916Timmy 12-08-2011 11:50 AM

The Magnaflow system will perform better, only because the muffler is designed to flow much better than a Flowmaster. If you want the dual exit, I would just buy a muffler and have a shop do the work to what you want, and it will be cheaper.

snrusnak 12-16-2011 09:38 AM

I agree with Timmy, the magnaflow will outperform flowmaster. The magnaflow kit is nice and has mandrel bends and is stainless steel, but so is the oem dual pipes. If you can pick them up cheap somewhere like craigslist that's what I'd do if you wanted duals, then just swap a magnaflow muffler on. You could also have a shop do it but you just won't usually get mandrel bends, but it's not that huge of a concern. Also it likely won't be stainless.

cammer 12-19-2011 03:46 PM

A muffler swap would net you more power and sound to boot. If you go with true duals all the way back which is pricey but that would get you the most power. I am looking at a muffler swap and the stock pipe seam to be 3" from the y-pipe split back.

snrusnak 12-19-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

A muffler swap would net you more power and sound to boot. If you go with true duals all the way back which is pricey but that would get you the most power. I am looking at a muffler swap and the stock pipe seam to be 3" from the y-pipe split back.
True duals all the way would reduce power. A crossover such as an x pipe, h pipe, or y pipe makes more power than two separate dual pipes not connected.

Scoooter 12-19-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 677198)
True duals all the way would reduce power. A crossover such as an x pipe, h pipe, or y pipe makes more power than two separate dual pipes not connected.

Yep, true duals will take away power for sure.

erm 12-19-2011 04:20 PM

What's really cool is you can have the dual look with a single in / dual out muffler. No loss of HP or torque will occur. In fact, couple the exhaust with an intake and you will see some increases in both values.

Lastly, with more air in and more air out, adding a programmer will help you optimize that new condition.