DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Overheating problem at idle or low rpm (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=98428)

Offroadram01 12-10-2011 02:35 AM

Overheating problem at idle or low rpm

Hey guys need some help so I dont go buyin and replacing parts and still not fix it lol

2001 ram quad cab 4x4 off road edition
auto trans
has 5.9 v8

Ok heres the problem, truck runs fine like on the high way or around town without alot of red lights, but if I sit at a red light too long or in highway slow stop go traffic, temp gauge rises to 260, but if I slightly hold the brake and give a lil gas and get rpm to around 1200 to maybe 1500 temp will come back down to normal temp if I continue to do this. Sometimes when I leave stop light it keeps rising unless I floor it then it will come back down
Could it be air pocket? Fan clutch? Thermostat?

GTyankee 12-10-2011 02:40 AM

All the above + a plugged radiator, are all possibilities

change out your hoses as well

CajunDodge 12-10-2011 06:59 AM

Had a similar problem on another vehicle and as long as I was driving and getting airflow, the temp was fine but stuck in traffic or at a train lol, same thing, temp went up. I flushed the radiator and put in a new thermostat, seemed to clear up the problem.

- Cajun

ramfam 12-11-2011 03:58 PM

Another thing is shoot radiato.r with a pressure washer. Clean out dust dirt bug guts. That will help as well

panhead 12-18-2011 12:21 AM

I'd replace the clutch fan for good measures.

pkmachinegun 07-04-2012 08:24 AM

bump. I know this thread is kinda old, but I'm now having the same problem in my 01 5.9. I've been deployed for the past 6 months and my (now ex) girlfriend drove my truck and took care of it while I've been gone. Before I left, I had the idling/low RPM overheating problem. Along with that it would leak water from what looked like the water pump or right there above it. So when I first saw the problem, I replaced the water pump hoping it would fix it and to no avail it of course didnt fix. As I've been deployed, my truck has been off my mind for a while and now I'm going back home, I'm looking to get it fixed since its my only means to drive to my house. I've been thinking its been a problem somewhere between the thermostat and the water pump bypass hose but in another post, I read that people have replaced corroded and blown out heater cores and it fixed the problem. Kinda wondering what I should be getting prepared to replace. Thanks.

Nightwalker 07-04-2012 12:56 PM

Had a issues with rad fan on a different hemi make sure the fan kicks on with it gets to the fan turn on temp,remember fan will not turn on till it gets hot enough so please be careful.
On the ram my condenser fan went out i know it's not the same issue but I think
Their fans are junk,one car (hemi)had 62,000 miles truck had 89,000.
Hope someone with better knowledge can help you but check fan first.

panhead 07-04-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkmachinegun (Post 834185)
bump. I know this thread is kinda old, but I'm now having the same problem in my 01 5.9. I've been deployed for the past 6 months and my (now ex) girlfriend drove my truck and took care of it while I've been gone. Before I left, I had the idling/low RPM overheating problem. Along with that it would leak water from what looked like the water pump or right there above it. So when I first saw the problem, I replaced the water pump hoping it would fix it and to no avail it of course didnt fix. As I've been deployed, my truck has been off my mind for a while and now I'm going back home, I'm looking to get it fixed since its my only means to drive to my house. I've been thinking its been a problem somewhere between the thermostat and the water pump bypass hose but in another post, I read that people have replaced corroded and blown out heater cores and it fixed the problem. Kinda wondering what I should be getting prepared to replace. Thanks.

Its kinda hard to see in the front of the motor, where there's a leak. Cause of all the accesoriess up front. Corrosion can build up on that by pass hose (water pump to intake). However, the accessory bracket is in the way. You have to pull the it out. Keep us updated, i'll be glad to help you pin point it.

ramfam 07-05-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightwalker (Post 834345)
Had a issues with rad fan on a different hemi make sure the fan kicks on with it gets to the fan turn on temp,remember fan will not turn on till it gets hot enough so please be careful.
On the ram my condenser fan went out i know it's not the same issue but I think
Their fans are junk,one car (hemi)had 62,000 miles truck had 89,000.
Hope someone with better knowledge can help you but check fan first.

:smiley_thumbs_up:great idea unfortunety gen 2's don't have aux fans for a\c and radiator unless they where added later. But yes they can be junk I'm on 3rd high speed fan for my wifes caravan.