DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram MPG Zone (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Gas consumption went up 25 % (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=98860)

longbow 12-15-2011 10:27 AM

Gas consumption went up 25 %

25%++Its seems impossible but my gas milage has gone from 19 to 24.5 liters per 100 kms that 's about 10 miles to the gallon. The truck is in for servicing on a knock caused by a leak on the exhaust , but I'm thinking there is more to it .
Has anyone else had or known of this problem ?

highlandchef 12-15-2011 10:35 AM

So it went from sucks to REALLY SUCKS!

If the truck is knocking the system will be screwed up trying to compensate so it definitely could be your problem.

LUBINATOR 12-15-2011 11:02 AM

Winter Gas Additives?

Quote:

Originally Posted by longbow (Post 674246)
25%++Its seems impossible but my gas milage has gone from 19 to 24.5 liters per 100 kms that 's about 10 miles to the gallon. The truck is in for servicing on a knock caused by a leak on the exhaust , but I'm thinking there is more to it .
Has anyone else had or known of this problem ?

Also down here in October/November they start adding winter gas additives which reduces my mileages 2 to 3 MPG Highway, they probably do that up there also

SilverHemi 12-15-2011 11:14 AM

how long has it been since u last did a tune up.... thats where i would start maybe do all new sparkers and new liquids everywhere air filters, the whole 9 yards... if nothing there could of been some bad fuel u got possibly watered down and hurt the engine

Rogue 12-15-2011 09:42 PM

Tis the reason for the season

I know here in Minnesota I have been using the remote start more then I was using it a month ago. Since I have had the truck my winter mileage suffers becasue of my idle/warmup times have increased. If that is not a contributing factor by all means start the mechanical inspections starting with plugs and air flow etc...

Enjoy the Ride!

longbow 12-15-2011 11:57 PM

got the answer

It turns out I had a broken stud on the exhaust manifold causing a leak and I don- know what but it's back on track , I think they must have reflashed the comupter as well,,buy the way under Warranty .

I'm thinking maybe an extended warranty may not be a bad idea.

Stump3r 12-16-2011 12:16 AM

Between warming the truck up in the morning and winter gas my mileage has taken a real dump! Oh well only 3 more months of winter!

spuds 12-19-2011 12:46 PM

Now check the MPG for a while and see if the issue is really fixed. Hope so !!

rickerred 12-19-2011 08:10 PM

my truck hates winter gas, crappy mileage, rough idle, I am going to try a higher octane fuel and will let you know how it works.

longbow 12-23-2011 11:47 AM

Undate on Repair : gas mileage back to normal

IT has been a week now and everything is back to normal re the gas milage after repair , I'm getting 16.7 l / 100 kms overall,city highway or 14.5 miles per gallon
So if you hear a knocking sound for a few seconds on start up , start checking your mileage to see if it is spiking, it maybe a broken exhaust stud .