DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   another ram with no heater (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=99186)

glw165 12-19-2011 11:41 AM

another ram with no heater

98 318 with 100k, flushed system alls good core open, blend door good, new thernostat 195, new coolant, burped systm, all hoses are hot except bottom rad hose even cap is cold, temp guage way low, even blocked entire rad with cardboard, same thing engine not reaching normal temp, thermostat change twice actually 3 including the 1 that was in it which seems fine according to new ones

chrisp 12-19-2011 01:22 PM

possibly a plugged rad core? has similar problems with my cavalier. how's the water pump? is it circulating the coolant? also does the motor reach oerating temp is getting hot or staying cold

glw165 12-19-2011 02:30 PM

temp stays pretty low so i ruled out plugged anything, its just as if cools too much

Scoooter 12-19-2011 03:00 PM

In the past I flushed my system which put junk into the new thermostate which stuck the thermostate wide open which caused no heat. Not sure if that's your issue or not but saw where you flushed the system. If you wanted you could take out the thermostate and see if it's stuck open. You could also take it and put it in water and boil the water and see if it's opening and closing correctly.

glw165 12-19-2011 06:14 PM

just changed it to another new 1 same results, its clearly closed when truck cold i have verified that, then top hose gets warm all sudden when it opens, so i have no idea

Scoooter 12-19-2011 06:22 PM

The only other thing I can think of since you flushed the system would be an air lock. There might be a bubble of air in the system preventing it from flowing correctly. I've had this happen as well and was a pain in the butt. Basically I sat and squeezed hoses for about an hour till it worked it's way out. If you have a top fill raditor you should be able to remove the cap and see fluid flowing by the hole after the truck warms up (I could see it on my truck, not sure about yours). That would show the thermostate is open and cooling the engine correctly which in turn should produce heat for your heater.

glw165 12-19-2011 06:34 PM

yea i been doing that about every morning squeazing all hoses while its running, never do see coolant move though the cap is kinda offset, i called dealer he said they have a baffel there hard to tell that way, and as said its like offset cant really see it moving, but when changed all this stuff with new coolant it did go way down when therm opened, of course i topped it off,, but yea i cant really see it circulating like u could on older cars