DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   How do you know when the MDS is working? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=99402)

Nickster 12-21-2011 10:38 PM

How do you know when the MDS is working?

I am wondering if there is a way to tell when the MDS kicks in. I have a 2009 Ram Laramie and it has a Fuel saver light that comes on when you are light on the throttle but was told that has nothing to do with the MDS. The Fuel Saver light comes on even when its cold and i was told the MDS only comes on when the truck is up to operating temp. So i believe the fact that that light just means you are driving efficiently but not linked to the MDS. So my big question is how do i know if my MDS works or not?

Zlow28 12-22-2011 02:05 AM

ive heard you can feel it when it kicks in (or out), however i cant feel when its on or off. So bump for ya!

crusher 12-22-2011 08:35 AM

their is normally a way to turn the fuel saver light in the evic when you go in the programming mode, to go their start the truck, let it in park and if i remember right its the last option down to accest the setting,

after just go thrue all off them it should be call fuel saver light or something similar,

Nickster 12-22-2011 11:10 AM

My fuel saver light is on but it is not linked with the MDS.

916Timmy 12-22-2011 11:53 AM

There is no display to tell you MDS is active or not, it's all feel and sound. It is VERY easy to tell when it drops to 4 cylinders if you have a really loud exhaust, motor sounds completely different.

partypooper 12-31-2011 10:30 AM

It has been my experience in my 4X4 2009 Ram that the Fuel Saver Light = MDS mode. I have done tests on long straight roads without altitude changes where (on average) I cannot go over 48mph without kicking out of MDS mode.

Model year 2010 Trucks to current changed from the fuel saver text to ECO text. I'm told the ECO light means that you are driving in a fuel efficient manner and it doesn't necessarly mean your in MDS mode. Which in my mind just confuses the consumer in believing they are in 4 cylinder mode at higher speeds.

RansRAM 12-31-2011 12:02 PM

The "ECO" light comes on when you are driving in an efficient manner and you may or may not be in MDS mode. I can tell when my MDS is operating because the RPMs drop a bit and there is a kind of shutter going on. I can only really tell when the speeds are down below 60 km/hr or so.

eltoro2 12-31-2011 04:38 PM

mds addvice

when the fuel saver light comes on it means your in fuel saver mode ; which means your in 4 cyl mode . on my 09 I can tell right away , because as you said I also get a shudder so I know it's in the mds mode . heres a trick no matter if it;s cold or hot and your not in 12345 gears showing ; the arrow is green you will go into mds mode , kick it down to 12345 gear and it wont go in to mds mode till you go past the 5 and then your in mds mode unless you press down on acc enough to kick it out . so if you want to stay out of mds mode leave it in 5 or lower . also stay with the 5 - 20 0il , anything higher like 10 20 or 30 will mess up the valve that changes it to mds mode . happy new years all :smileup:

Nickster 01-01-2012 01:18 PM

Im wondering if the guy that owned my truck before used the wrong oil. The best i could get for gas mileage was about 16.5 mpg and that is driving the prairies at 105 kmph. I did an oil change 2 weeks ago and i started getting around 18-21 mpg. This is with 3.92 gears. The truck runs at 1900rpm at 110kmph. My buddy's truck with the 3.55 gears only tachs at 1650 at 110km so that is why he generally gets better mileage then me.

I have always been the told Fuel Saver light means nothing to do with the MDS. The light comes on if the truck is cold or hot and in any gear. I was told it just means your driving efficiently. I don't get the change in tone in the exhaust or get a shutter when MDS kicks in. I watch the tach like a hawk and even sat in the box of the truck and had my wife drive it and see if i could here any difference in the exhaust" Ha i really wanna know"

eltoro2 01-02-2012 12:36 PM

the rpm,s dont change as the Eng goes into mds mode because your doing the same rpms in the mds mode .only dropping off cyl rpm remain the same .