DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Drag Racing Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Line Lock Applications on Newer Rams (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=99431)

mblatz 12-22-2011 01:55 AM

Line Lock Applications on Newer Rams

Hey guys, im looking into drag racing my ram, posted a time a few days ago for a mostly stock 4.7L '08, and i have a few technical questions i was hoping to get answered in one shot, so here goes:

First of all, my truck is a 2008 Dodge ram 1500 4x4, with a 4.7L Flex motor, SXT package, running stock most everything, except a Cherry Bomb Vortex Exhaust with no restriction, It does NOT have ABS, Traction Control or all the fancy electronic stuff, just Electric Throttle Body, Which i plan to mod at some point.

Running stock 17" rims, Chrome Clad steels, and stock gearing. I was looking at a set of M&H Racemasters i seen in another post, much smaller tire than stock, and i like the looks of those, might get a set in spring.

Now for the Questions: 1: Line Lock applications; Will I be able to effectively use such an application in my ram without severely damaging something in the drivetrain, or will i have to change something drastically?

2: Gears; could someone tell me the make of my front differential so that i might be able to match up a gearset with the rear end, or is this not possible?

Thanks in advance for your help!

chefred112 12-22-2011 11:03 AM

Linelock will work as I use it in mine, better on the drivetrain then powerbraking. in terms of gears, when you buy gears it will be a matched set anyways..I want to say you have an 8.25 front with 9.25 rear (size)..and the gears you want to go with are 4.56's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BQZqPYa4iY

TheSatinPumpkin 12-22-2011 11:06 AM

Yep as stated above. Some parts list the front as 8.0" but either way is good.

mblatz 12-23-2011 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefred112 (Post 679254)
Linelock will work as I use it in mine, better on the drivetrain then powerbraking. in terms of gears, when you buy gears it will be a matched set anyways..I want to say you have an 8.25 front with 9.25 rear (size)..and the gears you want to go with are 4.56's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BQZqPYa4iY

Thanks , Che, your truck has been my inspiration over the last couple of days, despite the fact you have a hemi and i dont, lol! But, i want to tap into the potential of this motor fully, as i know i am not getting 310HP to the rear wheels. i've heard from many a source that i am losing about 30% of that rating just to the powertrain, so i want to gain some of it back. just a general question about the gears, if i were to buy 4.56 gears from a vendor, say, summit racing, they would send me both the front and rear gears?

and for the line lock, that just installs somewhere between the master and the front brakes or is there somewhere specific it has to be routed to?

snrusnak 12-23-2011 09:55 AM

mblatz, I'm pretty sure without ABS you can just install it anywhere along the line, but let someone else confirm that. Smaller tires will help greatly. The dyno's I've seen with tuner's (that add about 16hp peak) are getting around 250 to 270 hp to the wheels. A tuner like the diablo or SC would be a big help for you on the track as well. I have the SC and love it, it dropped my 1/4 mile time by one second alone. Just about everyone will recommend 4.56 gearing, but I would not recommend going over 4.10's. Depending on tire size and transmission gearing, the higher (numerical) gearing is not always better, it depends where you end up in terms of gear and rpm at the end of the track. You could use your new tire diameter to play with the overall ratio a little as well. Good luck, drag racing is VERY addicting!

TheSatinPumpkin 12-23-2011 10:08 AM

I love Summit and all but i would personally get the gear package from AIRRAM.
You can get everything you need (keeping your stock carrier) for $612.77 free shipping. The price is the same if you go w/ 4.10's
9.25 Motive 4.56 = $199.99
8.0 Motive 4.56's = $194.99
9.25 Motive Master Install Kit = $94.99
8.0 Motive Master Install Kit = $122.80

Quote:

Originally Posted by mblatz (Post 679758)
Thanks , Che, your truck has been my inspiration over the last couple of days, despite the fact you have a hemi and i dont, lol! But, i want to tap into the potential of this motor fully, as i know i am not getting 310HP to the rear wheels. i've heard from many a source that i am losing about 30% of that rating just to the powertrain, so i want to gain some of it back. just a general question about the gears, if i were to buy 4.56 gears from a vendor, say, summit racing, they would send me both the front and rear gears?

and for the line lock, that just installs somewhere between the master and the front brakes or is there somewhere specific it has to be routed to?

TheSatinPumpkin 12-23-2011 10:20 AM

Actually Nick has some good prices on Hurst Line Lock too. Might have to splurge myself.

mblatz 01-28-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kay9 (Post 679862)
I love Summit and all but i would personally get the gear package from AIRRAM.
You can get everything you need (keeping your stock carrier) for $612.77 free shipping. The price is the same if you go w/ 4.10's
9.25 Motive 4.56 = $199.99
8.0 Motive 4.56's = $194.99
9.25 Motive Master Install Kit = $94.99
8.0 Motive Master Install Kit = $122.80

Thanks for the very helpful information! Im definetly using this, lol! and Yes, Drag racing = very addictive :SHOCKED::crazy:

mblatz 01-28-2012 12:11 AM

hey, i just discovered that this thing has rear-wheel ABS, will this still work? front does not have ABS. should i pull the fuse for the abs?

snrusnak 01-29-2012 09:36 AM

^I'm pretty sure ABS is not operable under like 5mph, but I could be wrong... I'd like to see what the responses are to this...