DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Nitrous Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Supporting Mods for Nitrous (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=99533)

916Timmy 12-23-2011 01:21 PM

Supporting Mods for Nitrous

Spent my day off looking through the Nitrous section, and have been tossing this idea around for a while. I am leaning toward the TB plate wet kit from Nitrous Outlet...sounds like the best bet for the hemi and an easy way to do it. Plus it would be much easier to NOT drill the Vararam I have now.

A couple questions to throw out:

What needs to be done to help preserve the drivetrain.

Can I run it with the stock 3.21 open rear?
Do I need a higher stall converter first?
Will the stock tranny handle it?

I am wanting to change the gears and add an LSD and do some tranny work, like a Transgo HD2. The motor only has 17000 miles, and I have read that nitrous and newer motors arent a good combo, so when is it safe to add nitrous. I will only run 75 until I get all the other stuff in line to match the spray....thanks in advance! :smiley_thumbs_up:

05ram 12-24-2011 11:11 AM

You can add a progressive controller to it which will gradually add the N2O instead the whole shot at once which will be easier on the entire drivetrain. All the Hemi's can handle a 75 shot all day.

916Timmy 12-26-2011 03:56 PM

Thanks man! I'll look into that...I did read about that window switch. Is that the same thing or no?

05ram 12-26-2011 05:19 PM

I think the window switch lets you set a minimum and max rpm for injecting, thats different than the progressive controller.

916Timmy 12-26-2011 07:42 PM

Thanks again! It's gonna be a bit for the spray comes, so I'll definately ask around!

CdnoilRAM 12-26-2011 10:52 PM

The window switch is very straightforward, set your low RPM turn-on and your high RPM shut-off, it's the simplest way to do it. The progressive controller takes more fine tuning to get it right and you'd only really need it if you were having traction issues. I've got my window switch set at 3000 RPM and 5500 RPM so with my 2800 stall I'm almost spraying out of the hole with no traction issues. The N-O plate system is nice and clean, I've got one coupled with a ZEX kit off of a chally, and I use the N-O pill chart, not the Zex one, the ZEX one is measured at the crank so it's not a 100hp shot at the wheels.

As for your drivetrain, you should be fine with your mods. I would still recommend looking at a new gear ratio though, my 3.55s just hurt so I can only imagine your 3.21s. You've already got the line pressure booster, so you've done pretty much all you can to your tranny until they come out with a shift kit.

One mod you could look at is a meth injection system, this would allow you to not pull timing when you spray, but make sure you run a separate tune for it that you unload when you leave the track because if you ever lose your meth injection then you're looking at causing troubles for your motor.

AllUCIsTailLights 01-06-2012 08:48 PM

getting my spray kit and installed by the end of this month cant wait!

916Timmy 01-07-2012 06:33 PM

What did you end up going with? I was talking to my 700HP Chally friend today about putting a plate kit together! Forward motion! He has a ton of spare parts, enough for three full kits he says. :)

AllUCIsTailLights 01-12-2012 12:31 PM

im going with the nitrous express kit comes with new and improved plate

916Timmy 01-14-2012 09:18 PM

I saw that NX kit, thats probably what I will get too, My buddy Rick (700HP Chally) says that NX has the best/most reliable solenoids!