DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   The Grill! (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Christmas Food Traditions (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=99567)

Stump3r 12-23-2011 10:04 PM

Christmas Food Traditions

Just wondering what are some of the traditions your family follows for Christmas.

Christmas Eve we have surf and turf. BBQ'd steak and shrimp with mushrooms. Even it's -40 I fire up the grill and get my bbq on! Later on in the evening we have chocolate fondue!

Christmas Day is time for one more turkey, then we also have a smattering of Ukrainian dishes, cabbage rolls, perogy, corn meal.

Tomorrow just isn't coming soon enough. Tough going to the fridge and seeing those t-bones sitting there.

CdnoilRAM 12-23-2011 10:39 PM

Christmas Eve has always been sitting around talking and getting into the homemade eggnog, a good shot of spiced rum in mine of course.

Christmas morning always has a Sweedish Tea Ring. A cinnamon pastry with raisins and a honey glaze. My mother always dries it out while cooking :smiledown: but we will never admit we don't love it.

Christmas dinner is always turkey with a cranberry stuffing, yams, mashed potatoes, devilled eggs (my favorite), bread 'n' butter pickles, and if it's a big crowd we'll pick up a bone-in ham and do a dry 3-mustard rub then smoke it for 2 hours with apple chips.

Sadly I'm missing xmas this year due to work, so I'll be having whatever's on the camp food menu, we're not even getting something special for christmas dinner.

Razorbass 12-24-2011 04:07 PM

Many, many years ago, my Mom became frustrated with slaving over an oven to make a big Christmas dinner and all of the kids moaning about it. So one year she asked what we all wanted for dinner. A collective yell of "TACOS!" could be heard around the room. To this day, tacos are the tradition at Mom's house.

(but we still do ham or turkey and all of the fixings at my in-laws)

rdsabin 12-25-2011 09:11 AM

Xmas Dinner

We normally have ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, scalloped corn and numerous vegetables and breads. My favorite has been the "lefse", it is a potato tortilla like thing. You put sugar and butter on it. Of course the older folks have their lutefisk, smelly boiled cod that has been soaked in lye.

However this year it will be a quick schwans turkey and mashed potato dinner for my Dad and me as my Mom passed away last year.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.

CajunDodge 12-26-2011 10:04 AM

Sorry to hear about your mom passing rdsabin, sure hope you had a good Christmas, though!

- Cajun

NMBowtie 12-26-2011 11:37 PM

We generally have a "New Mexican" Christmas Eve with a big pot of Posole, sometimes with Tamales, Enchiladas, etc.

Christmas Day we do a traditional turkey dinner with various potatoes, salads, etc. going along with it.

8t8iroc 05-15-2013 03:14 PM

Christmas Eve was always the big day growing up, Christmas Day was for friends of the family. My parents were from Hungary so usually Hungarian Sausages were the tradition, blood sausages as well, with red cabbage and "dirty" potatoes.

Good thread idea though, I like the "TACOs" story lol :)

PaulMys 05-17-2013 08:31 PM

When I was a kid, it was always ham or turkey. Since I have been married, my wife and I always enjoy my garlic and pepper-crusted prime rib. DAMN! How many days until Christmas??

Warlock III 05-31-2013 11:15 PM

I'm "different". When I was a kid we always had the traditional Christmas dinner.

Since that's all behind me I decided to start my own tradition. I have a young daughter and since before she was able to walk I started it.

I get up in the morning and make a huge breakfast, you name it, it's there (Mostly). Then we go and take turns opening gifts. I figure that when she gets older and if the wants to do the dinner thing (at noon lol) then our tradition will be firmly in place. Breakfast and gifts at dad's house and then she can do the dinner thing once/if she starts a family.

Maybe she'll carry on the breakfast, it's an option.