DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   less airflow from heat than cool (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=99575)

HEMILANCER 12-23-2011 11:02 PM

less airflow from heat than cool

hey guys just wondering before i take my truck in for the end of its 3yr bumper warranty. when i switch between heat and cool the airflow decreases significantly, it still warms the truck but i'm wondering if thats normal?

GTyankee 12-23-2011 11:27 PM

I crack my window just a bit to let the cool air out quicker

If that doesn't work on yours, maybe you didn't get the climate control software update yet

HEMILANCER 12-23-2011 11:51 PM

there is no problem with the heating, say you turn the blower on high/ cool then turn the blend knob to hot, the amount of airflow drops. i never noticed it till recently just wondering if thats normal

464 12-24-2011 10:16 AM

I dont know if its normal in automotive but fan speed is meant to be slower on heat than on cool to allow the air to heat up as it goes through the heat exchanger. Thats how it works in residential and commercial HVAC.

highlandchef 12-24-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEMILANCER (Post 680292)
hey guys just wondering before i take my truck in for the end of its 3yr bumper warranty. when i switch between heat and cool the airflow decreases significantly, it still warms the truck but i'm wondering if thats normal?

I don't know if it's normal but I noticed it in mine as well. I was going to ask the dealer the next time I was in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 680309)
f that doesn't work on yours, maybe you didn't get the climate control software update yet

What is this update you speak of kemosabe?

GreatTiger 12-27-2011 10:50 PM

If i were to assume that cool air comes from outside and bypasses the heatercore and the a/c isn't on then when the heat IS on, the resistance from air passing through the heater core is what is causing the less air flow condition that you speak of.

Watson, you may light my pipe now...

HEMILANCER 12-27-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatTiger (Post 682372)
If i were to assume that cool air comes from outside and bypasses the heatercore and the a/c isn't on then when the heat IS on, the resistance from air passing through the heater core is what is causing the less air flow condition that you speak of.

the cold air may bypass the heater core but instead it travells through the evaporator core. that may not be it but i'm getting the impression its normal. maybe they made the heatercore passage smaller so you wouldn't burn your face with a high volume of 200 degree air.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatTiger (Post 682372)
Watson, you may light my pipe now...

yes you may:smileup:

mc4man 12-31-2011 09:19 AM

Hemilancer, I notice the same reduced airflow when I switch from hot to cold while maintaining the same fan speed. I had my vehicle checked out and the dealership stated it was normal. There was no talk of an updated software though. I might go back and ask about this upgrade.

Dalejr 01-07-2012 11:34 PM

I have a 2011 Ram and it does the same thing.
A friend at work has a 2011 Durango his does the same to.

micar71 01-08-2012 12:43 PM

It is my understanding that the 2009 - 2011 Rams no longer have cabin air filters. In one aspect, that can lead to a dirty interior. On the other hand, it's good because it allows the air to move freely. If you remove your lower glovebox, you will see the fan motor housing. Above it is the automated vent that switches between the outside air and interior recirculation air. If you place your hand on the top of the fan motor housing unit, you will feel a grate. This is the air entrance to the previous air filter cavity that has been sealed (but they left the "T" box face to be cut out so you can install an air filter on your own). Below this air chamber is the fan it self, and man, it's lacking in size and power. Now that I've described a picture, I'll do my best to answer your question based on my "i'm bored and lets take something apart..." experience / observations. The airflow is redirected when it has to go through the heater core. Airflow loses it's speed the more obstacles it encounters. I love my Dodge Ram (bought my first truck last Feb), but yesterday I was determined to find out why I had no airflow to the rear center air vents in my crew cab and that is when I discovered, 1. no air filter, 2. a week fan, 3. a small fan, & 4. the rear center air vents are connected to the front center air vent chambers. I have to close the front center air vents so my little girl (who sits in the back middle) doesn't freeze in the winter and burn in the summer. Do I want an interior air filter? ABSOLUTELY - but only after a better blower is installed that can handle the restriction of an air filter. This explained the mystery of why the rear floor vents worked great but the rear center vents had restricted airflow. The dealership swore it was working fine and after pulling parts and climbing around with a flashlight, I discovered it is working correctly based on the design. This design needs a better blower.

I did find it pretty neat that you can install your own air filter pretty cheap.

I hope my unofficial answer based on my official curiosity helps. I hope someone else has a better answer or can supplement this.