View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccd1977 View Post
That sounds pretty sweet. Do you do exhaust work? I am looking to do a budget exhaust and ditch the cat if that is a good idea. Truck has 92.4k mi so cat os prob an issue.. Any ideas for this ?
Yup I do exhaust work, body work, transmission rebuilds/modifications, engine rebuilds/mods and design, axles, suspension rebuilds and design, electrical work, insulation and sound proofing, fiberglass work... Basically everything. I also have the software and abilities to perform FEA on fluid flows so the exhaust gas flow modeling, same for engines, everything can be analyzed and simulated.

Ditching the CAT wouldn't really have any significant performance increases on a stock motor, even with the correct computer tune the performance increase wouldn't be big, you would see performance increases only due to the computer tune alone. A stock engine is dependent on the CAT to provide a back pressure for the pre-cat O2 sensor, when you have performance exhaust and headers then the O2 sensor is located in the collector because the larger area slows down the exhaust gas velocity which in turn creates higher pressure at the collector, the slowing of the exhaust gas allows for the proper sensor readings. With the correct cam, computer tune, exhaust system, and flow through the bowl then you will see very significant performance increases, these cost money though.

Removing the CAT on RAM 1996+ will cause issues because of the post-CAT O2 sensor, their use to be a popular little device that you would hook up between the harness and the O2 sensor which would basically trick the computer into believing a CAT was their, but the EPA cracked down on the corporation and the device no longer exists, you would have to make your own which is somewhat straight forward.

With the advances in FEA and engineering in general, most CAT's flow very well compared to the stock units, a stock replacement today flows better than the performance units of the middle 90's. Their are about 4 or 5 different wafer designs, the most famous is the honeycomb which is what a majority of stock and 90's performance CAT's are, these don't flow as well as we use to believe. Their are like I said other deigns but I cannot remember them all off the top of my head, I will have to refer back to my books I studied.

But to answer your question, yes I can build exhaust systems.