View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccd1977 View Post
That is true. I want him to keep me posted in a month or two when he is available. I dont know enough about welding vs clamps. I looked under my truck and it all looks welded to me. lol.
Well it is up to you, personally I would just grab a 6 pack and meet up with snrusnak because this will save you about a "leg" in fuel.

I can tell you as far as clamp vs. welding. Clamps are cheaper, easier to install, and with clamps it is much easier to take apart the exhaust if need. As far as which one seals better, well assuming whom ever welded you exhaust done it properly, welding creates the best seal.

It is really just personal preference I guess, if you plan to take apart the exhaust for whatever reason, say you want to upgrade the muffler or want to do a CAT delete, you don't need to go find a welder for such a task when you use clamps.

EDIT: 1:43
Clamps are cheaper than welding, only on a small scale. If you manufacture exhaust systems or run a muffler shop, welding will be cheaper and can be faster. I use an industrial welding process, similar to MIG, FCAW. FCAW, flux core arc welding is a little more expensive of a process because the welding wire is usually 12-20 bucks per lb, a lb of wire can last anywhere from about 4ft-100ft of bead, depends on the wire speed. If I am welding up 1/4" plate 1lb lasts me roughly, gosh, I would say maybe 10 ft, idk I never really measured. MIG welding wire well, it is inexpensive and a tank of Argon/CO2 25/75 will be about 100 bucks and that is for the larger tank. In welding, I am a big fan of TIG, love TIG, you can weld any metal! But it is a slow and expensive welding process, not to mention you have to be very skilled and experienced with TIG welding in order to do it properly. However TIG does produce the strongest and the best weld because of the process controls, between heat control, frequency, polarity, not to mention you have a larger selection of different filler materials.

Last edited by ramvan2500; 02-11-2013 at 01:49 PM.