Old 02-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White and gray
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
mrau92me is on a distinguished road

My '96 (AT –not sure which one, 5.2L, 117k miles) is acting up. It’ll shift up but quickly down shift and rev up and eventually upshift again. When it happens, it only happens while the engine is warming up to temperature. Really babying the throttle sometimes seems to avoid it. After engine warm-up, it shifts fine. If I shift it manually through the gears while it's warming up, it does fine. I should note that I have had two driving events where it seemed to go into limp mode (it stayed in 2nd or something). But, the next time I drove it, it wasn't in limp mode.
I bought the truck cheap last year from friends who seldom drove it. They had the transmission rebuilt by a reputable shop when 105k was on the clock. It was not running when I bought it. Their crazy dog had chewed up the wiring harness around the transmission, so I soldered in a $20 harness from a salvage yard, and it fired right up. They said it was running fine before the dog got to it.
I had a shop put a new oil pump in it due to sludge from lack of driving. The mechanic said he thought solenoid packs was the trannie’s problem, so I let them do that work, but nothing changed. I have also adjusted the front band. All this makes me think it's a PCM/electronic problem (I hope). Any ideas?