View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

That's a pretty serious project you're undertaking and you'll need a couple of special tools. Since you're already replacing one hub, you don't have to fear destroying it in the process of removing it, so I would suggest you do that one first to get an idea of what it takes to get it out. I would make sure I at least had access to a second bearing in case you have to destroy both to get them out. I made a tool that can be used in conjunction with a puller to remove these hubs. It's simply a shallow 1/2 drive socket that fits the hub bolts and a 1/2 inch drive 3 inch extension. It's used by placing the socket on the bolt after loosening them about 1/2 inch and then turning the wheel and trapping the tool between the bolt and axle housing. With the engine running, continue turning the wheel and they hydraulic pressure will help force the hub out. On a diesel powered truck, this is done at idle but in a gasser. you'll likely need the help of a HD hub puller as well.