Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
REDRAMMER is on a distinguished road
Default Finally back!

Well . . .I am finally back. Sorry I have not been here lately. Been busy with life but its been good so far. Anyway, I took my truck to a local Dodge dealer instead of the "other dealer" I bought from. Reasoning told me they would know better than the other guy. The initial diagnosis was the transmission cylinoid was bad making the ratcheting noise. So they practically rebuilt the lower half of the tranny with new fluids, filter and cylinoid, etc. Guess what? After a $100 deductible later, STILL CLICKING at "no load" coast. Took her back and they did a closer look. The culprit wound up being a loose retainer/ tensioner for the chain than engages the MDS (multi displacement system-the system that shuts down 4 cylinders under low loads on the newer HEMIs). So, they practically had to rebuild the entire front end of the engine to replace that thing considering it is mounted behind the water pump and in front of and driven from the engine crank. Needless to say, the warranty covered this also with my expenses being just for fluids. The dealer ate the copay. In summary: I got a lower tranny rebuild w/ new cylinoid, filter and fluids. A rebuild of the front end of the HEMI. Total cost: $1954. My cost: $100 copay + $94 for fluids. Dealer cost: $100 copay for their misdiagnosis. Warranty covered the balance. I bought the extended warranty 2 mos. prior for $1400. I am a BIG fan of those warranties now.