View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recommended 5W-20 oil debate

I would like to start this thread to get input about something that I stumbled across on the internet. I don't what this to turn into a bitching match but think this is something that can be discussed and looked at. I like to keep my vehicles for long long time, and I do all the maintenance on all of them. Just to give you an Idea, my last Jeep Grand Cherokee is 14 years old, and still on the road and running strong. I do oil changes every 5600klm (3500miles) and I am running full synthetic. I know the book says 13000klm (8000 miles) or 6 months, whichever comes first, then the next one is 26000klm (16000 miles) or 1 year whichever comes first. Maybe I am spending more money on oil changes than I should but thats how I am, been doing it for the last 30 years. Sometimes hard to teach this old dog a new trick. That being said.

I Was doing some research on Motor oils and viscosity when I stumbled upon an article at a Amsoil Dealer website.

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/5w20oil.htm

I thought it was an interesting read so I posted some of the info on another thread for others to comment. So I started looking more into this and found the following.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/518/motor-oils

http://www.synlube.com/sae5w-20.htm

These where pretty much indicating the same info but the read of the information was very informative.

I then did a google search on "5W-20 oil and Engine Longevity" And wow lots of stuff posted up.

I don't usually question engineers on why they put stuff like they do. but I have been in business for a long time and also understand how manufactures work to make things break at a certain time so they keep the receivables coming in, my sunbeam toaster from 1940 still works today and works well, I thought to buy a new one "top of the line" and in 2 years it was toast <---- get it, toast. Still using the 1940 Sunbeam to this day. So yes some of the stuff I am reading makes sense.

So all this being said, I am starting this thread to get opinions and insight on what you all's think. I will also be contacting Amsoil to get there opinion and will let you know what they say. At the end of the day, I can understand that people who will only keep there vehicles for a 3 year lease and return it to the dealer for the next new model don't need to address this topic as it will not affect you in any way, but for those who want to keep there trucks for a long long time, this is something interesting be it that its "do what the book says" or change your oil as per what you want to do with your truck. Hope this will get some interesting insights.

Thanks for taking the time to look and think about this.
Sponsored links