View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4362
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Another interesting thing, if you talk to a guy in the UK that has a Ram 1500, they only put 5W-30 and MDS works fine, no issues, they can't get 5W-20 there yet.

Here is from another forum in the UK

I drive a 2005 C with the 5.7 and I currently have about 204,000 kms. I have used both a "20" weight oil (0w20 and 5w20) and "30" weight oils (0w30 and 5w30) and have had ZERO issues with the MDS.

The MDS was not originally designed to work exclusively with a "20" weight oil, and will work just as well with a "30". Car manufacturers recommend "20" weight oils so that they can meet the CAFE standards relatively easily. A "20" will return slightly better mileage than a "30" weight oil, too small for the average consumer to even notice, but these small improvements multiplied over the entire production run of each company's products add up to real improvements.

If a "20" was the only oil capable of working with the MDS, these cars would never be sold in Europe where a "20" is not relatively easy to find, nor does it have an attractive price point for Chrysler's consumers. The Europeans have been using "30" weight oil with their MDS for what.....6 years now or so, and there are no issues with the MDS not working.

I figured if it's good enough for the same car to use regardless of which side of the pond it's on, I would use the "30" in the summer and the "20" in the winter and have been doing so without any problems for all this time and mileage.

I have been finding this at a few UK forums and all seem to say the same thing.

Others stipulate that the service book for European vehicles with the 5.7l with MDS stipulate 5W-30 recommended oil viscosity. Same car made in the US shipped to Europe??? hmmmm. that's interesting, be nice to see someone scan the page out of there manual about that.

Last edited by Asur; 02-19-2013 at 12:49 PM.